I Forge Iron

Hey guys. I have a question. I would like to make a bear trap and I can not find any dimensions on the net and I do not have access to one to get dimensions. If anyone out there has access to one and could get dimensions off it for me or if you have found a print for one I would greatly appreciate any info you guys could give me.

A Duke #15 which is smaller than a #6 I think
closed
outside jaw dimensiion 11"
bottom of trap to top of curced jaw 8"
pan slightly larger than 4"
This has cast jaws which are 1 1/2" at the widest
The 2 posts which hold the jaws are 1 1/2: tall above the base plate
springs 13 1/2"
all are approximate

A few years ago I had a man-trap which had been used against poachers in the 19th century, It was much the same style (we call this pattern of trap a 'gin') but the pressure plate had spikes that would go sideways into the foot as well as the clamp. It had the appearance of having been fairly roughly made by a local 'smith. although the smaller sizes were mass-produced, I got the impression that the big ones were not made to any fixed pattern.
Could there be local variations across America in the design of bear traps?

The repairman1557 saw your post then saw where you are from, sorry to here about your bad luck!!! HA-HA Go Bucks!! Actually I'm making the trap for a friend that has a lot of wooded land and lets us hunt on it. They have a nice cabin on the property, and he mentioned about getting the trap to hang on the wall. He really doesn't want to pay the price for one. I decided it would probably mean more to him if it was made from me plus his wife likes all the blackiron work that I do. Would make a nice Christmas present.

You might want to look at Duke traps as they are designed as wall hangers and don't demand the price of old vintage collectible traps do. They are made in Korea actually, but look like the old originals. I saw a 1911 Newhouse sell at an auction this year for $1980.00! I have a fairly good collection of bear trap pictures if you need some, both factory made and blacksmith made. I want to make one when I have the ability.

Sorry guys, I've calmed down now. I was not just refering to trapping bears, just trapping annimals in general. The thought of an annimal getting stuck in a Gin or snare trap sent shiivers down my spine. As I mentioned I'm not anti hunting but snaring somthing by the leg is horrible.

Would look good on the wall though!

Thanks

Phil.

Sorry guys, I've calmed down now. I was not just refering to trapping bears, just trapping annimals in general. The thought of an annimal getting stuck in a Gin or snare trap sent shiivers down my spine. As I mentioned I'm not anti hunting but snaring somthing by the leg is horrible...Phil.

I agree fully. I am not anti-hunting, I would hunt in our woods if I was not so concerned about getting shot by a drunk. We have lost pets to poachers putting out traps. One of my wife's cats dragged a steel trap home before dying. :(

If I even considered making a steel trap, that would end our marriage.

PS: Which reminds me, drunks-with-guns day is approaching. The first day of deer season sounds like our house is in the middle of world-war-III. We can't even put up one of those things that discourage birds from nesting near the house, because it would be peppered with bullets. Edited by UnicornForge