I Forge Iron

The Challenge.

Me and UnkleSpike, Come up with a idea about Challenging each other on making stuff, I'm still trying to learn and I thought some of you all might be interested in this. The Challenge was to make a set of Hinges. I got mine darn neer done, I got a question for one of you old timer's. . I need to know how you forge weld the pin or Pintle without burning off the pin, I'm sure you soak it I'll find out next time I get to fire up the forge. If some of you all want to get involved with the Challenge. leave a post.

Here's a clip that I put together.
TheChallenge - making a hinge

To make the pintle without burning the whole end off it is important to have the loop with the pin in it just inside the really hot center of the fire. The thin flat section of the hinge should be outside the really hot center. I occasionally turn it in the fire to evenly heat the whole piece. When you turn it you do it gently so it doesn't sink into the oxidizing part of the fire or come out of the hot neutral part. Good Luck

Tom,

YOU STOP WORKING RIGHT NOW AND GET SOME GLASSES ON !

Yes I was yelling, don't know if you normally wear them, but please do....hate to see you get hurt.

Got to see your video, but my Windows 7 won't work with Adobe Flash Player so I got no sound and I am too bushed to figure it out at this time, will work on that tomorrow.

Can't post mine yet, they are still in the ugly phase of construction, will get some up when they get closer to finished.

Edited by unkle spike

Tom,

YOU STOP WORKING RIGHT NOW AND GET SOME GLASSES ON !

Yep.

I work with a guy who lost an eye 20 years ago. He was stretching a chalkline real tight and sighting down the line. The 16d nail pulled out and slammed straight into his left eye. When he described the feeling of eye jelly running down his cheek...

Yeah. Safety glasses are important.

Been REAL busy, but finally got one of my hinges done. Mine is a plate hinge, riveted for strength.

I made it out of 3/16 plate, I would consider this a "heavy" hinge. Now if I can get the other one done....

Needs some more finish work, but I know Tom has been waiting to see it.

18538.attach

18539.attach

18540.attach