I Forge Iron

Hot dip gal thin plate in gate

Hi, I am making a gate at the moment which is approx 1.5m square approx half of it is to be filled with a sheet of 4mm plate tennoned into the front, back stiles and bottom rail. There is no top rail. I was going to have it hot dip galvanised as it's going pretty close to the ocean. This is traditionally made gate with no electric welding. I'm a bit worried bout the plate buckling during the gal process.
Has anyone done anything similar, will it be alright?
Also I need to paint it after, What exactly is 'Tea wash' or equivelant, is it possible to mix it up yourself?
Thanks

When I worked at a steel fab shop (mostly bridges) we were required to brace any thin gauge materials before galving. Mostly things like troughs. The fellas would tack weld on a few cross braces, and nip them off later.
Other options we tried were spray galv (spray cans) and metalizing (expensive).
Metalizing was pretty neat, it was like powder coating but with metal.

Even thick metal can be distorted by the hot dip galvanising process. 4 mm is very thin.
Take it to the plant and ask them what you should do to prevent distortion. There would still be a chance of your item being ruined though. Sandblast, epoxy primer and arylic enamel topcoat would give a great many years of good service if properly applied.