I Forge Iron

Another old anvil ID, please?

In a remarkable stroke of luck, I just picked up this 170-lb farriers'-style anvil for... well, just under sixty cents a pound. :D

170lb-anvil.jpg

The hard face is badly crumbled at the edges, and I think starting to delaminate at the front edge, but I think I can fix it. Even still, it rings like a church bell. :D

Anyway, it was admittedly dark when I looked at it (hence the cruddy picture) but even on a fairly close examination, I couldn't see any trace of any markings. Nothing stamped, nothing cast or forged in, etc.

It appears to be wrought iron (there's no way a cast one could ring like that) with a hard face- there's a definite line where the hard face has chipped and crumbled.

I didn't look underneath, but there's nothing at all on the sides, and nothing apparent, at least on a cursory glance, on any of the feet. I'll give it a closer inspection in the morning, but can anyone ID it with the info so far? Rough age, make?

Thanks.
Doc.

Going by this old ABANA post:

If you see a series of numbers (serial number) on the front foot, it is almost certainly to be a Trenton, Hay-Budden or Arm & Hammer. If it starts with an A, it would be an H-B. Arm & Hammers do not go over about 52,000.

Too high a serial number and no "A", so would it then be a Trenton? (Trexton?)

Also, is there any way to ID this leg vise?

5in-leg-vise.jpg

Doc.

It looks like a Hay-Budden, and I don't think that it is ugly. The faces are normally 4" wide or just under 4". Often, on an anvil of that size, the waist width is also about 4", measuring side to side, not horn to heel. My "Anvils in America" book gives an approximate date of 1912 for its manufacture, and that is based on the six digit serial number.

Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School : The Granddaddy of Blacksmithing Schools

hay-budden, really looks like a hay-budden to me. im no expert but i have been lookin at a lot of hb photos and i stumbled across one that looked like that. it was a 70 pound but i dont know if it really was or not. i dont remember where i saw it but i will try to remember. last night i just found my serial number and weight on my Hay-Budden. its a #208.