I Forge Iron

my first 3 RR spike knives

outsider

Well here are my first three RR spike knives, i have only tried to harden the Bowie style one and i did it in water and it twisted......i didnt normalize it first so into the fire it goes for 3x normalization then i'll try warm water and see how that goes and if that does not work then it's off to veggie oil.
Now they are said to be high carbon but hot high enough for a good knife blade, so i assume that water will do the best job....done right that is...lol
So anyway here's the pic of them, one is polished but not fully, the next is a lil polished and the third is now being normalized so no polish yet.
I really lucked out here because all three turned out just the way i wanted on the forge and needed very little belt sander work, that made me very happy, i like being able to get it really close with hammer and anvil rather that hours on the grinder and belt sander.
So now to figure the hardening out and i can work on making so cool knives but this is a learning exercise for me since i am still quiet the beginner blacksmith.
So any comments, suggestions or constructive criticisms are welcome as always!

If you use a flatter there will be less grinding work.

As for grinding, I use a farriers rasp, on the smoother of the two sides to do the rough take down and evening, then draw file with a regular mill bastard, then work with my belt sander. If things are really bad I use a 4 1/2 inch grinder to start... but a good coarse file removes a good amount of material, but not too fast.

Obviously I don't make knives for a living, but I make one now and again, and found early on to use hand tools to save starting over due to over removal with power tools.

good luck
cliff

yeah it's a heck of a line, i read that book as a boy and it struck me hard and through my life i have strived to be as versatile as possible in life, though that may well be ADD/ADHD...lol, now days i am working on this Blacksmithing thing here and i have fallen in romantic love with this craft!
There was a time when men "HAD" to know so many things just to live a day in life but we have gotten soft and complacent with the world at our fingertips, Blacksmithing is a refreshing change back to reality, almost a spiritual awakening to me and it draws on the vast array of other skills i have developed over these many years.
It's good to see another who feels as strongly of that quote!

ok here's the knives finally, had to do it a different way but here they are all the same till they can get the unfortunate issues here worked out, so while they figure that out here's what i figured out....ok well somebody else did really but what the heck.....:D
So lets see how this goes.....

Picture464.jpg

Picture508.jpg

Picture680.jpg

WOW...pretty big pix, huh?
Well i'm inclined to think that these will have to be adjusted somehow, so sorry if they are excessive but but i dunno what else to do at this point, so adjust if you need, i wond be offended...ok well not to much at least....LOL

i really like the first one it has really clean lines and a nice finish, the third is well done but i agree with the last post that the 2nd knife isn't as pleasing to the eye and then i start thinking , does it have a function? is there a reason for that shape? whats your take on that outsider, could be good for a skinner if one was to use it.

Like the looks of the first one and the third one man. Second one ain't bad but didn't catch my eye like the other two. Keep up the god work man and if you need some more spikes let me know.

thx for the comments and missed you at the guild meeting last sat., they are not sure about the next meeting date since there is an event planned that date by the city and the next weekend is Thanksgiving so as i hear i'll forward the info to you as well.
Anyway the second is more a skinner, i used to be a pig farmer...lol and i wanted that style for skinning from my own experiences but not every knife will be beautiful or even appealing to all but that is more a function knife and still needs to be polished.
and heck yeah i could really use some more spikes if you have to spare, whens a good time to ring you so i can meet up with you and pick up a few spikes, would be a big help for me...thx dude
Hope to catch you at the next meeting!

i really like the first one it has really clean lines and a nice finish, the third is well done but i agree with the last post that the 2nd knife isn't as pleasing to the eye and then i start thinking , does it have a function? is there a reason for that shape? whats your take on that outsider, could be good for a skinner if one was to use it.

i guess i answered your thoughts on this in the post to DarkSaber in the last post about it being a vision of function rather than beauty, though a few people that have seen it in person really liked it, so guess it's a vision call there or just purely function and that is the knife i want if i ever skin up any more pig's/hogs

Yeah I was in Morganton at the Brian Brazeal Roadtrip Class. Anytime Friday just about would be good and I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of 'em so several to spare. Working Saturday through Tuesday so not good those days. As for the next guild meeting good to know and I do hope to be there. If you need my cell send me a private message man.

Yeah I was in Morganton at the Brian Brazeal Roadtrip Class. Anytime Friday just about would be good and I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of 'em so several to spare. Working Saturday through Tuesday so not good those days. As for the next guild meeting good to know and I do hope to be there. If you need my cell send me a private message man.

nope i got your number in my cell and i'll give you a ring on like Tue. early eve. since you'll be around on wed. it would seem.
I can come meet up with you and pick them up or your more than welcome to swing by and check out my meager shop here...LOL
either way i'll catch up with you and i appreciate the spikes, i'm about out here.
well catch ya later, i gotta get ready for church here.