I Forge Iron

Apple/Potato quench

I have heard and read a number of tales regarding the quenching of tools in an Apple or a Potato. The idea sounds a bit potty at first, but on reflection maybe the stories are not so far fetched, though the idea that potatoes impart extra carbon into the steel during the quench make me wonder if its just a wild Blacksmith story handed down to mock the gullible.

Any wiser heads than mine want to tell me if it's a likely method of quenching or just a tall tale?

Weygers mentions a Melon quench in "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" and stated that the blade ended up with a hard edge and a soft spine and he even used it to clip nails, mushrooming the spine but not damaging the blade.

Quenching gravers into candle wax is also a time proven method.

Gaining carbon? No not enough time at temp to do that effectively.

If you think about it, melons would work on blades but I'm not too sure of anything heavier. They are mainly water that is contained so if they are cut to the shape of the blade edge it could be put into the melon at hardening temperature and harden the edge but the spine would remain soft as its never hardened at all. The melon would dissappate the heat quickly from a thin edge but not from a heavy object so its probably really restricted to edge blades.

no reason why it wouldn't work fine, depending on the shape and size of the tool being quenched.

I did an April Fool's post on British Blades a couple of years back where I hardened a blade in a banana. When I took the pictures to back it up, the xxxx thing actually worked! :D

here is the original thread with pics:
Heat Treating with Fruit - British Blades :: Custom Knife Making

I'd expect it would probably work OK on either extremely fine cross-sections -- like needles -- or on steel that has a very forgiving cooling curve. (Even then, you'd still need enough mass of quenchant for the blade size.) Stuff that will air harden in thin cross-sections should also harden in something like an apple or potato. But it's really just a gimmick.

No way you can carburize like that. Too little time and temp.

i have made small diameter (up to 5/16") reamers and D bits for use in model engineering applications from silver steel bar (01 I think) heated to red then plunged into a potato with no need to temper. mostly used on brass though. with the bonus that if you have a few to make, you can eat the spud afterwards !