I Forge Iron

ID on an anvil and a appraisal

Hi all, I'm new to this site and new to the world of smithing and have really found a lot of good info here. I found an anvil locally and figured I'd post it here and get an opinion on it. The guy who has it wants 175.00 and says its around 100 lbs. He's not too clued in on it I think. He claimed it was a Sloan Farriers anvil before he sent me the pics. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

-Robert

17900.attach

17901.attach

As it says, it's a "Vulcan". Not a bad anvil, a little rough. I'd be tempted to just clean it up with a grinder/sander. Price is sorta O.K. I'd try to talk him down a little. Put 1 $100.00 bill in one pocket and $50.00 in your wallet and maybe $25.00 in your glove box. Flash the hundred when you're negotiating. Hard to let someone walk away after seeing the cash. Try the hundred real hard then go to $125, then $150.

Vulcans were made by Illinois Iron and Bolt Company (I THINK that's the company name). They are generally considered to be on the lower end of the usable anvils scale. They usually had thinner face plates that didn't stand up to heavy use as well as the more premium brands.

I recently sold a 150 pounder for $175. But the value is quite market dependant.

The Edges are chipped pretty good, but the top plate looks alright. The horn is easy enough to fix, not a bad first anvil, heck of a lot better than what some people use. Whether $175 is a good price or not depends mostly on where you live. Since you didn't say, it is hard to answer, obviously if you can get it for less that is great. If you need an anvil, it is a fair price.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I live in the Pacific Northwest in Southern Oregon. I think I'll offer 100 for it, and walk away if he won't take it. It will be my first anvil, so it'll be a learning one for me until I can afford a new one, and have gotten some work under my belt. I'm thinking of taking a class from the guy who sells those Rhino anvils and seeing what they are all about since they are so much cheaper. He teaches his classes on them so I'll get a first hand test on one.

Thanks again
-Robert