I Forge Iron

Canedy Forge

Drifter

Bought a Canedy forge Friday. Got it home and started tinkering with the blower as it is locked up tighter then Dick's hatband. Anyone know if the gears are cast in this blower? It appears the fan will have to be pulled off the shaft to finish taking it apart to get to the gears.

The rest fo the forge is in pretty good shape for being stored out in the weather for years. One small crack about 3 in long in the bottom but far from it's heart. Still has the original steel tube legs.

Drifter

You might try soaking it in diesel for a while....several days. Also check to see if there is an obstruction in the fan housing, wasp nest/dirt doobers, etc. Great blowers. I have a 46"x33" CO forge but the lever and pulley were missing, had to use a crank Champion blower and build a bracket for it. Good luck.

Squirted in a whole can of WD40 most ran back out as was sitting on the face of the fan intake. Guess the seals were ate up or mabe wore out. Lot of nasty looking rust and some water came out. I got the back plate to come loose so fa but now will take the fan housing off to see if can get a puller on the fan. Will leave the WD40 to soak in some more then mabe apply some heat as I apply pressure.

The wood is gone from the handle and has a counter wieght ball about 1 1/2 in diameter.The top measurements are 34 1/2 X 22 1/2 inside with about a 3 in lip and slightly shallower across the fire pot area.

Drifter

Soaking it in a bucket of diesel and giving the handle a try every day will get it freed up with little chance of damaging it. Don't expect it to suddenly start turning though that does happen once in a while, more likely it'll start to move a little bit and gradually improve as it soaks and you bump it.

It wouldn't eat seals if people would just stop feeding them seals! They're protected by law for crying out loud! :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist. No seals in them, they only get a little oil at the beginning of a session and maybe again after lunch. By a little I mean a few drops of 30wt. Heavy oil makes for harder cranking and no better protection. Some guys in cold country like ATF, it's good lube and stays fluid at sub zero temps.

Gonna post a couple pics? We love pics you know. ;)

Frosty

Squirted in a whole can of WD40 most ran back out as was sitting on the face of the fan intake. Guess the seals were ate up or mabe wore out. Lot of nasty looking rust and some water came out. I got the back plate to come loose so fa but now will take the fan housing off to see if can get a puller on the fan. Will leave the WD40 to soak in some more then mabe apply some heat as I apply pressure.

The wood is gone from the handle and has a counter wieght ball about 1 1/2 in diameter.The top measurements are 34 1/2 X 22 1/2 inside with about a 3 in lip and slightly shallower across the fire pot area.

Drifter

Please PLEASE, DO NOT HAMMER on it, they are cast iron and will break! ;(Soak in diesel...for a week--2weeks. Find something else to do in those weeks. Do something nice for your wife. That will help when those time at the forge grow long;)

If the blower looks like this canedyblower.jpg then there should be a set screw on the fan blade hub to hold it. Should be a square one. If it won't turn for ya, hit it with a little PB blaster, go have a cold drink, then come back and it should loosen. This blower I use has screws, bolts, etc that hold things together. Don't force anything until you check for set screws, bolts, etc. You may do more harm than good. IF it has a set screw, you will not need a puller.

Oh yeah, toss that WD40. I've had no luck with it on things like this. Get some Kroil or PB Blaster or even Liquid wrench. Everything I ever sprayed with WD40 only rusted worse if left unattended and not oiled. It is made for water displacement, not protection.

Edited by keykeeper

I will have to locate some PB to give her a bath before putting it into th ediesel bath. I found a set screw on the fan as well. The fan housing is held on by 4 slot head screws. The back section was held on by 3 bolts 5/16. I will post some pictures but am in the middle of a siding job here at home in my spare time. I will be gentel with it as I know what broken cast looks like. Some is right down unweldable or dang near anyway.

Being I am not a native I will have to leave the seals be Frosty LOL.

Drifter

Got it soaking now and gave it a ride for about 40 mile in my old truck LOL Kind of a redneck parts washer guess you might say. Took out set screw but fan was being stuborun so it is soaking along with the rest.the back came open about 3.16 so the diesel should eb able to get to about everything inside after removing the 5/16 bolts.

Drifter

Had been trying that to no avail. Decided rather then forcingit and doing more damage to try the soak it route. Here in the midwest the mud dobbers and leaf cutter bees sure can clog up stuff. Maybe in a couple days I can get it apart to clean her up. never could stand to not look inside to see what makes something tick.

Drifter

never could stand to not look inside to see what makes something tick.

Drifter

Yeah, I know the feeling. If it has moving parts, gotta see how and why they work, at least once!:D

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but sometimes I find that whatever was used as lubrication back in the day in the gearbox sets up like cement on the gears, most usually heavy grease. Sometimes the only thing that will remove it and free it up is time, soaking, and elbow grease. I've seen some instances of this where I had to literally scrape the old gunk out with a screwdriver or other tool. Be careful, though, if it resorts to this, as some of these blowers had fiber gears in them that can be damaged. Edited by keykeeper

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled it from the bucket a diesel after 400 miles in my truck LOL. It is still froze tight but a gang of rust in the bottom of the bucket. Next weekend will be disection time I guess. Hope to not find any fiber gears though.

Drifter

• 7 years later...

Moved to Mississippi after I retired and finally getting a few things caught up on. Tore the old gal apart and wire brushed all the gears or rather the remains of the gears. What an adventure that was as they were rusted to each other and the splines on the smaller are ate up pretty bad. I installed some nylon washers as the wear had the gears not meshing well. Now to find coal to feed the beast. I am in North Mississippi now.