I Forge Iron

weak forge!

Kendrick

After reading the "efficiency" thread I decided to add a gauge to my forge for the first time.

I have always had trouble getting anything even 1/4 stock sized up to welding temp. I knew I was running a low pressure regulator and not getting the volume most people had. I just had no idea how little. Assuming a standard air gauge will read propane correctly, at full blast I'm running about 1 1/2 psi of gas!

I need a bigger regulator!

Kendrick

Go to a propane dealer, hardware store, etc. and buy a 0-30 psig regulator, it should run between $25-35. If you can't find one locally Larry Zoeller or Jay Hays sells them mail order. A search of IFI will bring up the contact info for either.

The reg from your turkey frier probably does provide 5 psig but not in the volume you need for a forge. The only problem a non-propane pressure gage will run into is a shortened life but it will read accurately enough for our purposes.

Frosty

Hi Frosty. So, why does the non-propane pressure gauge have a shorter life? I used an old acetylene regulator on a bbq tank for awhile, and it eventually died from creep. I refuse to use a creepy regulator, since I have a buddy whose overpressure valve didn't release, and his diaphragm blew instead. He's lucky that he didn't lose a piece of his face. So, I opened it up, and the body was full of this stinky black goo. No damage to diaphragm, seats, anything else. I cleaned it up and the regulator worked fine. Guess the propane isn't all that clean.