I Forge Iron

Hammer or Punch?

jw223

I picked this item up for a dollar yesterday, and was wondering if anyone could tell if this was a hammer or a handled punch? The head looks mushroomed, and has a few cracks in it which need to be removed. As far as I can tell, it was hand forged. I was thinking of re-working it into something else, but as a punch, I may just keep it as is, and remove the mushroomed edges. Any thoughts? Also, I'm trying to put an age on my anvil. Can anybody tell by the marks?

17204.attach

17205.attach

17206.attach

17207.attach

17208.attach

I'm going to work on the punch today, and get rid of the edges. I think I'm going to draw it out a little smaller, because the end is about 5/8 or so in diameter. right now, I don't need one that big. I'm sure after I change it though it will be the size I need. Oh well, make another one...

Not a punch, unless you mean "center punch". It looks more like a counter sink to me.

Use it before punching screw holes to counter sink for flush heads. It may be a bit much for a #6 screw but it's easier to counter sink for a small screw with a large counter sink than counter sinking for a large screw with a small one.

Okay, did I use the term counter sink enough times in that last sentence?

Oh yeah, chamfer off the mushroom for sure.

Frosty

Peter Wright produced his patented anvils in Dudley England. The numbers on it depict its weight. reading from left to right 0=0cwts, 3=3x1/4 cwts, 6=6lbs.
total 90lbs. These were made between 1830-1920 me thinks.
I would agree with Frosty on the other tool.