I Forge Iron

Does Anyone Know the Deal with Greenfield Village?

1860cooper

Green Field Village, Dearborn MI by the Henry Ford museum... probably the second or third largest historic village in the USA...

They have a blacksmith shop and no blacksmith. In my 10 minutes of standing around I heard half a dozen comments from people regretting there not being a working blacksmith there anymore. That's ten minutes out of one day, and they are open all day every day half of the year.

I tried to ask what the story was on it... finally one of the tinsmith's told me (as the story goes) they used to have one staff blacksmith, and half a dozen or so part-timers. Then the full-timer went union (somehow), and that caused the part-timers to have to go union (regrettably) then eventually (not surprisingly!) there was a breakdown and the blacksmiths left.

It seems like a supreme waste for such a nice shop (imported from England!) just sitting there doing nothing as tens of thousands of visitors pass by.

Does anyone know more about this story? Has anyone approached or been approached by Greenfield Village about the smithy shop?

17202.attach

It is not unusual to have disagreements between museums and smiths volunteering or working in the museum historic shops. Museums have their ideals of what should be presented and how their facilities are used; that is only natural. It is also natural for disagreements to be kept private so as to present the best possible image to the public. My humble observation, for what little it is worth, is that disagreements over presentation and use of a historic shop does not have to be over anything terribly dramatic, but differences in philosophy can cause, and may often cause, a parting of ways between a museum and craftsman in attendance.

So my suggestion is:
- not to worry about why they came to a parting of ways, that is between the smiths and the museum. They are unlikely to want to air their linen in public.

- if you plan on offering to take over the shop, be very aware of:
...... the museum's policies on how the shop should be presented to the public,
...... the tools that may be used in the shop,
.......what the musuem allows to be made within the historic shop; manufacture of modern items probably not allowed
.......and the processes that are allowed within the shop; things such as forge-welding are likely not allowed anywhere near spectators.

- to be aware that museums are by nature extremely concerned over the image of their museum and the presentation and behavior of practicing craftsmen within its boundaries. So limits upon your income because of processes used in manufacture, as well as limits on what can be made within the shop, as well as limits requiring the smith to stop working and entertain the public are much much much more important than whether you are able to make and sell sufficient product to keep from starving.

Remember: Museums are museums, not free space to have a shop. :D

• 2 months later...

I may be able to help you understand a little bit more of what happened to the blacksmiths at Greenfield Village. I was one of the two last working blacksmiths there when they decided to cut our budget and eliminate myself and my boss.
I was only part time, but was required to join the UAW (yep, that's right) to work in the shop. There may have been disputes between my boss who worked full time in the shop for 18 years and his management, but the only explanation I got was, "We just can't afford to keep the shop running at this time." It was great fun and we enjoyed the heck out of our jobs, neither of us was very happy about this decision.
They offered us jobs as custodians, but for $7.35/hr and no more than 20hrs a week, I called it quits. Besides, I came to work in the shop and learn. Since that wasn't available there was no reason to stay.
I'd be happy answer any questions you may have about the shop, the work we performed or any related issues. I had only been there from 99-01 and haven't been back to visit since. It was the most enjoyable job I've ever had and would love to see someone enjoying it just as much as I did. I sincerely hope that they decide to staff the shop again, but I have much doubt in that.

Just like when Ohio Village canned their highly skilled craft demonstrators (I think the most recent of them only had 10 years experience) in favour of volunteers that basically knew squat about the time period and the crafts at that period. (and the people who could have trained them were gone!)