I Forge Iron

Do I need to line my forge?

raypa

I just picked up an old hand crank forge. It is round about the diameter of a 55gal drum made by a forge company in lancaster, pa. The old guy I purchased it from said I need to put a clay lining in it. I looked around for pictures of what I need to do and can;'t find anything. the lip on the side is about 6" tall and the blower blows from the bottom middle. Anybody know of any pictures floating around?

An inch is plenty good.

just dampen the clay enough it sticks together when squeezed hard in your hand and doesn't leave your hand dirty. Then ram it in with a wood mallet or a short piece of 2x4 and a hammer. When it's hard smooth it and score it.

Smooth because less will stick to and into it if it's smooth. And scoring will make weak points that will shrink check where you want it. Scoring is using a blunt blade like a butter knife to make a shallow cut, 1/4" is plenty. A spiderweb pattern works well in a round pan forge.

Let it dry and put it to use.

Frosty