I Forge Iron

First coal forge almost done!

Kendrick

I know this thing is going to be a far cry from perfect but I hope it works. I plan to try the kitty-litter lining. Now I need to make a blower or bellows for it. It looks rough but I have a $0.00 investment in it so far.

I set it on that 1/4 drum just to set it down. It fits perfect and I'm debating just using that for the stand.

17034.attach

17035.attach

Edited by Kendrick
me no type good

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of steps closer. I made and mounted the legs today and did the piping for the blower and the ash dump. Kinda proud of it, engineered and made it myself. I even made the handle extend-able just in case.

Monday I need to cut the notches in the sides, add chains to the legs and line it.

17599.attach

17600.attach

17601.attach

17602.attach

17603.attach

Kendrick.

I don't remember the exact mileage but Brazil Indiana is east of you on I70. Depending on your situation, that might be the first place to look.

City Coal Yard
116 North Depot Street
Brazil, IN 47834
812-448-8128
Excellent blacksmith coal. Pocahantas #3 washed from West Virginia.
Contact David Wise

I got this from the artmetal website so I don't know how up to date this is. This is the coal I use but always have gotten it second hand from friends that went there.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,
I knew they were over there but wasn't sure what the name of the place was to find a number. Thanks, I now have 150lb at $25. We spent more in the fabric store my wife wanted to go to since we were over that way!

Now if the clay would ever dry!!!

Once more question for whomever:
Much of the coal is fairly fine pieces, peanut-ish sized. The gaps in my grate are about 3/8 and these pieces can fall through. Is that a casuality I just need to accept? I was thinking of putting some smaller expanded steel over the grate to tighten it up, figuring it would need replaced often.

Comments?

looks good I would make a japanese box bellow they work real good and you can always find scrap plywood. I had a bellows it lasted about 5 years with maintance. now I use an electric blower. In Florida leather dose not hold up real well. there is always canvice sealed with white rubber base roofing paint.

nice :) Finnaly talked my wife into letting me build one... only thing i have to do first is paint the tin roof(7 pitch :( ),paint kitchen,paint hallway,paint kids br, clear fence line, find a place to put all her plants when it gets cold,re-arrange livingroom,build deck in backyard, but swing up on porch,put swing up in yard,paint rafters and not make a mess when i build the forge in the old chicken pen.. A fair trade I think :)

Once more question for whomever:
Much of the coal is fairly fine pieces, peanut-ish sized. The gaps in my grate are about 3/8 and these pieces can fall through. Is that a casuality I just need to accept? I was thinking of putting some smaller expanded steel over the grate to tighten it up, figuring it would need replaced often.
Comments?

That's one option. But keep in mind that with a well-maintained fire with good blacksmithing coal that has been moistened properly, small pieces of coal and even powdered coal will stick together when they form coke. To do this they must have a free-swelling index of at least 5; Pocahontas 3 ranges between 8.5 to 9.

In short, you'll probably be fine. By the time your forge stops putting out nasty yellow smoke, most of what you're using will be too big to fall through those holes.