I Forge Iron

just a thought.....reflective refractory ?

ok, old man in perth just did a test. outside furnace, 1.5kg ally melt, about 3 coats, of "glaziers whiting " mixed with water and a bit of metho , and painted on(no binder). knocked about 5 to 8 (adjusted) mins off the melt time for his test. :D
normally about 35 to 40 mins for a melt....about 30 mins for the melt with the reflective.
cost was about $7 for 2kg.

will try some bentonite or say 10% castable as a loose binder. easy to brush off and recoat.

Edited by double_edge2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have a conclusion, but not a full experiment. The high amount of kaolin in the mix I labeled "stabilizer" shrank enough that it cracked and started to fall away from the wool. It is possible that a thicker or thinner coating will be more stable, but I had difficulty applying as this mixture kept wanting more water to maintain consistency.

The coating I labeled "high zircon reflector" is effectively an ultra high grog mixture unless a temperature of over 3000F is held for a period of time. At the temperatures I achieved, which are not known, but in excess of 1500F, provided a stable coating on both brick and kaowool with no apparent shrinkage. The high zircon reflector shows heat long before bare firebrick shows heat when painted onto the firebrick. It also stabilized kaowool effectively, and provided a coating that can tolerate some handling.

This might not be the best picture but the dark stripe is uncoated brick, and the coating is incandescent long before the brick. The "brick" in front is a coated piece of kaowool curing for use as a plug for the back door. After this short firing it does not crack when handled, but does flex some. The fibers are held in place effectively.

More to follow, I have enough material to make a better experiment out of this, especially since I have a working forge now.

Phil

17742.attach

I'd try NOT to fire it unless you have enough time to let it come to full heat for a decent period of time for the first couple firings.

I've found that adding more kaolin to ITC-100 does NOT help at all though a thin enough slip is useful for stiffening kaowool.

Frosty