I Forge Iron

What's this?

Can anyone ID this? Got some kind of flange here... 1-1/4" thick, rings like a bell when struck, around 100 pounds. letters "CTZU" embossed in two places. machined surfaces.

Made a small cut in the corner with a sawsall, cut was bright and shiny inside, almost chrome-like.

white cast iron and useless? maybe use it as a base for something? or a boat anchor?

Mark

16898.attach

16899.attach

Edited by MarkC

It looks like a blind flange, if its a 1 1/4 is a 600#. looks like a 10" or 12". The inner ring holds a flat "o-ring". The only thing throwing it off is the bolts welded to it, could have been added to install the flange.

James,

you got any idea what these flanges are made of? Cov says mild or cast steel, i havent a clue so I'm going with that till I can spark test tomorrow.

hm, two opinions. Well that about settles it then. i'm gonna cut this up and make an anvil stand out of it. Thanks Travis and James.

p.s. what are the odds of a commercial diver coming around on a day I'm trying to ID a pipe flange. best of luck with your wire rope knife!

if you give me the bolt hole sizes and how many I can tell you what series the flange it is.. The lower the series # the lower the pressure it can hold, they go all the way up to 2500, and those are about 4 1/2 to 6" thick depending on the size of pipe line. I think there are six types of flanges, weld neck, slip on, threaded, lap joint, socket, and blind.

The anvil and gadget on the pallet in the background of your first photo suggests you might be getting this from somewhere interesting!
If so have a look around to see if it fits; i'm speculating a steam hammer cylinder cap?

The Victorian (Australia) artist blackie group have a 2cwt Massey hammer. They picked it up in a local suburban back yard, but had to go 200 miles to get the cylinder cap- a metal artist was using it as a dishing block!

enjoy tha stuff.
Andrew O'C

The anvil and gadget on the pallet in the background of your first photo suggests you might be getting this from somewhere interesting!
If so have a look around to see if it fits; i'm speculating a steam hammer cylinder cap?

The Victorian (Australia) artist blackie group have a 2cwt Massey hammer. They picked it up in a local suburban back yard, but had to go 200 miles to get the cylinder cap- a metal artist was using it as a dishing block!

enjoy tha stuff.
Andrew O'C

Somewhere interesting, haha, yeah . . . MY SHOP. Boy do I wish I had a steam hammer hiding in there . . . haha

Going to scribe this and use it as a baseplate for my anvil. It was free after all.

mark Edited by MarkC