I Forge Iron

new to forum

hank57

just to say hello, new to forum.
never made a knife before , but i'm going to give it try.
i have build aks from kits so i think i can learn how to
make a knife with the help of this forum.
by the way is there anyone in the south part of houston tx that i can learn from? i'm in the dickinson area. just off 517 and I 45.
thanks henry

Welcome aboard Henry, glad to have ya.

I'll let the guys into making slicer dicers fill you in on that craft.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific.

Frosty

thanks for the invit stan. i have fixed the cp as well.
i have been reading and going thru the site , man theres alot of info
here. so many things to make and lots of pics.(i need pics . it help me
more then reading line by line.)hahah.
thanks again i will try to make the tire rim forge and make my 1st knife soon.
henry

stan i seen your web site , man those are nice. i see you make them from stainless steel. would i follow the same steps to making a knife as with iron or steel? would i use a forge the same way or just cut to shape and go from there? i ask because i have a small pice at the ranch i could start with.
should i just start with a small knife out of steel 1st. then move into stainless?
thanks henry

stainless is harder to work with , if i where you i would go with some kind of carbon steel or even mild steel to start. if you want to get into the smithing part of this art then go for the forge but if you just want to make knives i'd go for cutting out the shapes because there is much more technique in forging blades than just grinding them down(no insult intended to stock removal). hope this helps and good luck!

That's the better way to learn the craft. At least become proficient with smithing and then start making knives. A recent thread started by Brian Brazeal shows his second ever knife as forged. It's a beautifully forged blank ready for grinding, heat treat and finishing. Brian doesn't make knives but he is a very highly skilled blacksmith.

Good practice for both blacksmithing and bladesmithing is making leaves. They require controlled lateral drawing so you don't lose the shape, precise (as precise as your skill and desire make them) shoulders for the stem is the same process as shouldering for a tang. Double bevels are attractive on leaves so you get to practice that as well as flats, etc. etc. all round good practice.

Once you've made half a dozen or several dozen you can bundle some of the stems together and weld them into a branch. More practice.

Leaves are difficult enough to be a good solid challenge for the beginner without being so difficult as to be discouraging. If I have enough time in a first session I have a student make a leaf coat hook for their intro.

Frosty

Henry
I also have a forge and do forged knives. I make some cable damascus and getting ready to try some random pattern damascus. Worked a long time in SS and then branching out ito forged knives.If you want to play with fire the invite is always on.
Stan