I Forge Iron

Old becomes New again.

Gents,

Recently came across (e-bay) an old post vice (5 inch) and it found a home in my shop. I was skeptical of the overall condition of a 100 year old item but after examing my new find I was pleased to find it in excellent condition. Nothwihtstanding the consmetics of the vice exterior, the mechanics appeared almost new; little if any wear on the threads and no visible fractures. I cleaned and scaled the working surfaces and dye checked the ususal suspects for any sign of pending fracture; none noted.

Post_Vice_09_3_lr.jpg Post_Vice_09_6_lr.jpg Post_Vice_09_5_lr.jpg Post_Vice_09_10_lr.jpg
It is certainly a good turn of events when a 100 year old tool finds a new a useful life. Included a few photos of the subject vice for your review.

Peter

Hey Glen,
No not a bed but rather a small 1922 ish SB lathe I try and keep the dust off. It was another one of those tool finds that seem to make it back home and get a second life. Thanks for transfering the pics over for me.
Peter

100 year old tools are fairly common in a blacksmith shop. Well made and well maintained some of them will reach 200 or more years with ease! The threads on that vise screw look in great condition and so it probably has another generation or two of life left in it.

Nice score.