I Forge Iron

A knife with a grapevine handle

son_of_bluegrass

Very nice knife. It it a full-tang knife?

It never occurred to me that grape vines could be used for anything. Grape vines are definitely a renewable resource because grape vines are constantly being pruned and sometimes replaced.

Are there any special considerations when using grape vines as a material?

Yes it is full tang.

The story of the grapevine.
When I was house sitting for my brother in Texas, there was an old oak tree, that due to a treaty being signed under it, had some historical significance. Growing on this tree was a grapevine. The oak and grapevine were growing close to the dirt road my brother lived on. The county came along to pave the road and decided the oak was in the way. Before they could get the oak cut down, someone noticed what they were doing and stopped them due to the aforementioned history. But they had already cut the grapevine. After letting it lay there a day or two, I decided I needed to snag a piece of the vine since after all when was I ever going to see another grapevine that was some 8 or 10 inches in diameter. The picture is of some of that vine and that piece is about 2 foot long.
It set around for a few years. I decided to cut into a month or two back and was not impressed. In hardness it is close to (maybe just a bit softer than) soft maple. Not the ideal for a knife handle but not real bad. The intricacies of the vine did not appear until I put a coat of oil on it.

ron

16773.attach