I Forge Iron

W-2 Shobu Zukuri Katana, Sneak Peek at my Latest piece

John Smith

Well I am in the process of polishing this blade which is a Shobu Zukuri katana.

It is W-2 with an OVL of 36" with a nagasa of 27 1/4" and a nakago of 8 3/4" the blade is just under 3/8" at the mune machi and just over 3/8" at the ko-shinogi yes I said it the blade actually tapers out at the kissaki so it is tip heavy this is for the cutters out there who want a blade that actually follows thru.

The motohaba is just under 1 3/8" tapering in to around 1 1/8" at the kissaki / Yokote area.

Tha hamon is a, or was supposed to be an O-Choji but the clay and blade had other ideas and it sort of turned in to a wild choji-midare, to me the hamon is fantastic. And as far as I am concerned the humidity helped, as I have fixed that problem, less water to compensate for the rise in moisture.

I am actually at a point to start the habaki and Shira-Saya. So I will be posting pictures on that as well. So here are the pictures let me know what yours and gals think

Comments Welcome

16780.attach

16781.attach

16782.attach

16783.attach

Edited by mod07

that's beautiful! Is this your First? how about the tusba? are you goning to try to make one? did you etch to bring out the habuchi? or is that from the polishing? I'm slowly working my way up to that, need to make a few more knife blades first...:rolleyes:

Well Chad This is not my first and I hope not my last. I am still polishing the blade, and the habuchi is very present. I am going to mount this blade in Shira-Saya. I do not have the time not patience to do fittings.

So I will keep everyone posted on the progress of the blade.

I plan to go as far as I can with the stones that I have, but will end up using a hybrid approach on the polish, I will do a quick etch in ferric to bring out the more subtle aspects of the hamon, and then do a nugui rub on the blade. I never buff my blades ever as this takes from the beauty of the work done up to that point.

LOL Chad no I am rather slow and methodical about things and do not jump into forging unless I am comfortable with it.

So I have been forging smaller Japanese blades for two years and Katana's have been the last year.

I have been forging for 5 years total, I spent alot of time reading Jims book The complete Bladesmith. SO learning steel and most importantly what steels that I wanted to use.

I have been forging for 5 years total...

Very nice work, thank you very much for sharing.

In case you are interested, Cascade Maryland is less than 32 miles from the Carroll County Farm Museum where the Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland meets and does blacksmithing activities. There are several members of the guild that specialize in knifemaking, and a growing number of members seem to be specializing in blade work.

A few years ago I had the pleasure and privilege of attending a pattern-welding/bladesmithing course taught by Rob Hudson ABA Master Bladesmith http://swordforum.com/summer99/robhudson.html at the guild's school.

You are certainly welcome if you are so inclined to visit and/or join. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wow sorry guys been away for a bit.

Thanks for the comments and Hollow to make a Japanese style blade you need to start small. There are several books out on forging knives. And yes I could tell you but we wouldbe here for ever so As your questions and I shall answer. But experience is yourbest teacher. All I can do is show you the path.

John

• 4 weeks later...