I Forge Iron

Removing powder coat from car springs

hterag

G'day all,
I have a few old coils springs from cars I picked up very cheap at my local scrap yard.
I was planning on using them to make some wood working chisels and wood turning tools.

The problem is they are all coated in a black powder coat that I am having dificulty removing. (I thought it was just paint)

I have tried wire brushes on power drills but its too tough for this to be easy and sanding cylindrical and
coiled steel is not much fun it would take a long time to do becaus of the shape.

I can't really heat it first as the powder coat is plastic and would give off some pretty nasty fumes.

So does anyone have any ideas on removing it quickly or easily?

The stuff is a pain to remove no matter what the method. Local powder coater sand blasts to clean the metal before powder coating and says it is the only way to removed the powder coating if needed. Having an industrail sand blaster available may have something to do with that decision.

Easy answer, look for another spring to use.

I used to know a professional powder coater and he would burn it off in a pottery kiln. He did it at night, with the doors locked because, the smoke is so noxious it is a health hazard. Had the EPA found out about it they would have shut him down. Sandblasting would be the way to go. I have been able to get it off in the past by hammering the beejeebers out of it, cold, until the powder coating cracks and loosens and can be peeled off but, it is time consuming.

Herein lies a delimna. Old free scrap stuff is just that. Old free scrap stuff. I use it all the time but there will be issues from time to time. You will contaminate a fire with powdercoat in a solid fuel forge ( coal, charcoal etc ). Would NEVER burn this off in a gasser. Thomas has a good idea too but under the hood and out the flu works good for me ( inc galvanized ). Be CAREFUL and KNOW that you have a good draft on your hood flu. We are our own police when it comes to safety.

Why are we considering polution of the air, coating the forge, forge hood, and chimney with material you don't want to breathe for 8 feet of scrap steel? Next fire you will get that residual powder coat hot again only this time not even thinking about breathing the left overs.

There are too many springs in the world that are not powder coated to try to clean up the one that is powder coated. Just find another spring.

If the powder coating were zinc we would bring up the name Jim "Paw Paw" Wilson and his death and try to guide folks away from using the stuff in a fire. Why not do the same for powder coating?

I live in a residential area I am not going to burn it off.

I do have a bunch of other stuff I was going to take to get
sand blasted. I'll probably just add the springs to the pile and take it all together.

thanks all

Many places charge extra for sandblasting off powder coats, I know I would. They are an enourmous pain to remove with sandblasting. We usually stick them in a vise, bring the blower over, and use an oxy-acet torch to remove it, while the blower sucks up the toxic smoke. Not fun at all. Coil springs probably arent worth the trouble of sandblasting OR burning.

Just cut off the amount of spring you need and hit quickly it with a sanding disk to clean off the bulk of it, won't take long, were a dusk mask and then burn the remainder off.

My Dad's business has a powdercoating shop, they sand stuff off small areas all the time for repair welding all the time, big things we either sand blast or if heat/warpage, is not an issues we send it to a friends aluminum foundry and they hang it over the pit for us and burn it off.

I'd agree though there are alot of noncoated springs out there, but most new cars these days come with painted springs and more and more of them are getting junked.

Well the reason its an issue is I haven't found any without some kind of powder coat.
On a closer inspection I see that some of them are only painted not poweder coated I think I'll give up on the poweder coated ones and sand the painted ones.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.