I Forge Iron

Heim Rod Ends.....tough enough???

I have searched the forum for power hammers using Heim type rod ends. Only found a couple of references , both involved tire hammer rather than a "Rusty" type hammer. I am in the process of build such a beast ("Rusty" type) and it just seems a great way to make the connecting links...both on the 'cam pulley side' and on the 'hammer shaft' side. There are 3/4" ends readily available and inexpensive.
Anyone have any experience with these? Would they hold up to the pounding? Or should I stick to the 'weld up a clevis and use shaft/bushings' approach.
Any thought/experience is appreciated!

I was thinking of using the same thing except I was going to go oversized like the type fpr a 3 point hitch Northern tools sells them. Have seen them used on Baja Racing vehicals. If that isn't a pounding I do not what is that was my logic. Have seen the hammer using a engin block on youtube? think I am going with that design.

The one on the vertical shaft (driver end) would probably be fine as it is mostly a linear force driving it in line with the joint. But on the other end (head) end you are applying force 90 degrees to the joint. As I told you over the phone, the "spring sliding between two bolts" is the simplest approach that most use.

Thanks for the wake up! Embarrassingly enough, I farm and should have clicked on this application! Even better....buy a complete top link, cut off one 'ball end' and weld an appropriate length of Schedule 80 black pipe between ball and threaded portion. Instant link with about 8" or more adjustment! Hurts my feelings (and pocketbook) that I just bought RH, LH threaded rod and appropriate nuts to weld up my own adjustable link. DUH!

Hey Jeff,
Yep, I remember. But still toying with mounting a ball end link such as this only on top of the hammer shaft. It would allow a pivoting movement at that end , while the other end would be solidly fixed under the springs (no pivot). In my feeble engineering mind, this would account quite nicely for the 'fore/aft' movement as the spring end traces its arc.
Not seeing the 90 degrees....in my 'design', thrust would be only off hammer shaft axis by a few degrees from vertical as the arc is traced. Nothing in stone yet....and might still end up doing it the 'usual' way. And definitely open to suggestions! :)

Edited by mandomaniac
clarification

I was thinking of using the same thing except I was going to go oversized like the type fpr a 3 point hitch Northern tools sells them. Have seen them used on Baja Racing vehicals. If that isn't a pounding I do not what is that was my logic. Have seen the hammer using a engin block on youtube? think I am going with that design.

This was my thought also, these things take any amount of punishment, just think of the weight of a farm implement bouncing around on the back of the tractor in a dusty paddock for years at a time. The eye ends and pins are available off the shelf as spares and you get the choice of cat1 or cat11 pins.
The last one I bought was $35 Aus, brand new.

I was hoping John Larson would come into this conversation. I know he's experimented with lots of stuff and I was sure this would be one. Ain't forums wonderful? I mean it's like the "Borg", you know: the collective mind sorta thing.

Yes! I'm a 62 year old "Trekkie"!

Grant,
You have my vote.....it never ceases to amaze me how much fantastic information is out there and readily shared on a mind-numbing number of forums. For maniacs like myself....this is the proverbial candy store.

Truth be told, I participate in many ....and widely varied... forums. It's tough being scatterbrained. Too many interests rattling around in there at one time! Hell if I was a kid today, they'd probably have me on meds. Fortunately, I'm old as dirt and back then they thought it was great, stuck me in the library and taught me Greek mythology, calligraphy, astronomy , languages, and other cool stuff. Go figure......

"inquiring minds want to know!" :P

The fellow that was my gun building mentor was fond of saying "Don't see why anyone has to reinvent the wheel" and generously shared his knowledge gained through years of experience (read that trials and ERRORS). Certainly prevented me from having to make the very same errors.

So...let me take this opportunity as a newbie to give a serious tip of the hat to the folks here that obviously feel likewise. I thank you for all the knowledge I have gained and will continue to gain in the future. Hopefully I might be able to return the favor in some small way to someone else. ;)

I was hoping John Larson would come into this conversation. I know he's experimented with lots of stuff and I was sure this would be one. Ain't forums wonderful? I mean it's like the "Borg", you know: the collective mind sorta thing.

Yes! I'm a 62 year old "Trekkie"!

Seven of nine had a mind!!!!!!!! Geez I hadn't ever noticed that.

Thanks, Grant. You've been darn helpful to me with info and tooling. Your video material is tremedously useful. Lemme tell ya, the blocking out of the power hammer die is inspiring.

As for more on the heim joints on the tire hammer arms, Paul Garrett, the head smith at John C. Campbell, is credited with using NASCAR grade heim joints on one of the first tire hammers built. You ought to try contacting him directly via the school. A truly fine guy and he'll tell you what works.