I Forge Iron

Jsut found the place

theycallmefix

Talked to the blacksmith at Lincoln log cabin in Charleston Illinois and he recommended I do some reading here.

I've only had the anvil and forge for a little over a year, but I've been workin' metal for a very long time. My previous expertise is in automotive sheetmetal. I prefer working on cars from the 30's and 40's so, shrinking and stretching metal are what I'm good at. I figure I can use some of that skill in developing some ability with the thicker pieces of metal.

I am currently building a Kentucky flintlock rifle, and although I haven't had to forge anything for it, I've had to modify nearly every piece of metal on it.

Looking forward to learning something here. I don't really post much on forums, but I assure you that I will be reading.

RUN!! don't walk to the 'Five Corners Blacksmith Shop' there in Charleston. Lorelei Sims is the owner and a fabulous blacksmith...The address is 315 Fourth Street, you won't be dissappointed. Check the book review section to read about her book "The Backyard Blacksmith". BTW, Welcome to IFI!!

Welcome aboard Fix, glad to have you.

Yes, your experience will help quite a bit. Sheetmetal work, especially working with compound curves is more difficult though technically the same. It will give you an excellent feel and understanding of what the metal is doing and why. The biggest differences being it takes more force for a smaller return so mistakes take longer and more effort to make but likewise take longer and a LOT more effort to correct. ;)

Oh yeah, heat, lots of heat. Fire. Mmmmmmmmm.

Frosty

I've visited Lorelei's shop. She actually did some work on some hidden hinges I needed for a truck I was working on. I didn't have my own forge at the time.

I also have her book.

Someday, I'll have to stop in for a more social visit. I drive by the place everyday on my way to work.

I've visited Lorelei's shop. She actually did some work on some hidden hinges I needed for a truck I was working on. I didn't have my own forge at the time.

I also have her book.

Someday, I'll have to stop in for a more social visit. I drive by the place everyday on my way to work.

Lucky dawg....