I Forge Iron

Best way to make an outdoor coal forge from dual cast iron sink

ichudov

I have this cast iron sink (see thumbnail).

Also a blower from ebay auction: Blower-Fan 115V Sinlge Phase 5" Inlet on/off Valve - eBay (item 390071538911 end time Jul-29-09 22:56:31 PDT), which seems to produce about the right amount of air (less than a shop-vac).

I would like to make a coal forge from this sink and blower and wanted to inquire what would be the best plan for it. It will be used outdoors. As coal seems to be hadr to come by, I would prefer a design that could use hickory charcoal that is available from Walmart.

My main use of this forge would be for forge welding and other uses that require white hot steel. I already have a well working propane forge (Forgemaster). IOW, the requirement here is the amount of heat.

16273.attach

sell the sink on Craigslist, and use the money to build a forge. Most of these homemade forges start with items that are too deep in my opinion. A brake rotor, or shallow brake drum set into a flat surface would work better IMHO. All of the commercial coal forges I have , 2 Champions, and a Buffalo, are relatively shallow allowing a long part to be heated in the middle. The Buffalo is heavy gauge sheetmetal with a cast iron firepot. I looked it over really good, and I didn't see any rust through. I got the last 2 forges in a deal I just made a couple of weeks ago from and estate. I see riveting forges ( and sandstone grinding wheels) fairly frequently, usually out in front of the house with flowers in them, but they are out there. A quick scour of Craigslist, and maybe your neighborhood, could turn up a factory forge. I am not trying to discourage you from building your own, just giving you some options.

One thing about the sink is the enameling. It will have a tendency to chip off with impact, and rapid heat changes. The enamel is basically glass, and can cause eye injuries when it pops off. Get it hot enough and it will melt.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

By the time you get done cutting the sink in half, filling it more than halfway up with refractory cement, and building a stand to hold all the weight, it would make a better planter than forge, but if you are set on it, I look forward to seeing how you get around all the obstacles.