I Forge Iron

L6 Integral Tomahawk

Today was the Illinois Valley Blacksmith Annual Meeting.

They have a show and tell table and I brought this:

L6 Integral Tomahawk
Full Tang (L6)
Ferrule (L6)
Butt Cap (L6)
G 10 Scales
Socket Head Cap Screws
Gun Kote
All components forged
Bainite Compositon

The tang runs fully through the length of the tomahawk and the head, tang (haft), ferrule, and butt cap were all heat treated.

It weighs 1 pound 9 oz.

Here's the link:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

L6 is a real pain. The integral metal tomahawk was quenched in salt.

I also have some othe tomahawks and "stuff" in my PhotoBucket collection that you might find interesting.

Thanks for looking.

RB

in his thread he mentions G10 for the scales (handle halves). G10 is a fiberglass composite like Phenolic/ Micarta. The difference being G10 is fiberglass based while Phenolic is canvas, or paper based layers. The layers are built up with a resin then compressed into a shape; sheet, flats, rounds, etc. G10 is very abrasive on tool bits, more so than phenolic is. I use carbide endmills, as high speed bits are eaten up within a few inches. You also do not want to breath the dust that comes off, and clean your machine very well when done to protect the ways. Since it eats endmills like it does do you want to breath it? Phenolics are used as jigs/fixtures, electrical insulators, and I have salvaged a lot of it over the years. Fairly expensive, and G10 more so. To get more info you can go to McMaster Carr's website since they sell both items.