I Forge Iron

Treadle hammer using compression springs

You could telescope it like a strut on a vehicle. Make a top and bottom catch plate that is larger than the spring OD with an inner ring to keep the spring centered. Each side of the circuit has a shaft (think black water pipe) one side slides into the other (maybe 1" inside 1-1/4"). The inner piece is a little longer than the outer and has a key to prevent the assembly coming apart. It's a cheesy drawing but something like this

:]--------- ////////// ====[:
Top sleeve,Spring, Bottom sleeve

Edited by HWooldridge

If you can have a look in the back of the book "Werk Und Werkzeug Des Kunstschmeids" by Otto Schmirler. It has a Oliver hammer that uses a compression spring. I have heard that this was what the origional ABANA treadle hammer was based on. The spring is set up similar to Hollis's suggestion. There is a long pipe that the sping is inside fastened to the frame, inside the spring runs a long piece of round bar which is fastened to the arm. The book while expensive is an excellent reference as well, my copy is in German English and French.

You can also do what I did when I could only find long compression springs. I took a torch and heated a small spot on the spring and bent it up to form a link. I then just let it air cool. The two springs I used were still working after ten years when I sold it recently. I used to repair T-bar springs this way when I worked in the ski business and they stood up as well as the new ones.