I Forge Iron

coal forge in a neighborhood?

danielsmith

I converted my garage into a blacksmithing shop. i have a basic setup with a propane forge. I would love to be using a coal forge, but I am worried about the smoke. Does anyone have any advice about controlling the smoke? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I don't want to irritate the neighbors.
thanks
dan

I use charcoal and I live in a surburban area and im living in a twin house... no problems with smoke at all I dont have a hood or a chimney though its just open outside the smokiest it gets is when lighting the paper once the charcoal is fired up it burns pretty clean except for a few sparks here and there from a clinker... but inside is a diff story for sure

If you go down the coal track make sure you add it slowly to a well established fire so the smelly, thick smoke is burnt off. Add it around the sides of the fire and push it in slowly as it cokes and the smoke should not be too much of a problem. Keep this as a constant process with your fire management so you are not stuck and have to add a lot in one go which will cause the heavy smoke people hate.

I got a coal burner and live in a close to each other neighborhood. Luckily, my neighbors all say that the coal smoke reminds them of earlier days. I've also made a few gifts of some of my projects. While you slowly pull the green coal into the fire, try dripping water on it. That seems to help me. Good luck. :)

My Dad's place was in a regular suburban neighborhood. When we got the fire going there was some greenish smoke when starting fresh. Just keep the air going to the fire, and it cleans up quickly. Like mentioned before, add coal to the outside, and work it into the center as the older coal burns up. We had a slack tub ,and a sprinkler made out of a punctured tin can on a stick, that we kept the coal damp with. The steam generated helps to turn your coal into coke, which burns cleaner. Maybe you can start with cleaner charcoal then add coal after it gets hot. Never had any complaints, although I have talked with people that the local Fire Dept shut them down :(

I live downtown myself and am in the process of getting my "hobby" shop up and going. I am on a corner lot, with a "park" on the other side. Across the ally is a church. One advantage is they only show on sundays, but I was thinking of making a deal with the pastor to supply him with the "fire and brimstone" smell prior to each service. LOL. What I may end up doing though is making little cross pendents or something along that direction, just to ease their minds and voices to the fire dept. I do know a few of my neighbors, and they like us, have a thing for old things so I feel fairly safe in smithing here.