I Forge Iron

I've made some more knives.

dennis_hl

I'm looking for feedback on these. I'm looking for suggestions on improving the aesthetic appeal of my knives. Any issues or other suggestions, please comment. Please be honest, I can take it. :)

BTW I rushed the photo taking and the digital camera was fighting the overhead green lights and the fact that its dusky outside and its dark in the coffee shop.

ash_lght_seaxish_pst.jpg

ash_seaxish_pst.jpg

bone_hndl_seax_pst.jpg

Dennis:

From what I can tell from the photos...they look fine to me...you could use a little refining on the little "details" (and we all needed that when we were starting out so...) but they look A-OK to me anyway..

Gotta ask..where did you get such a sexy piece of bone?? Man that grip is just neat...I would of put something curvy on that, but a Seax works too...

So you like Seax blades do ya??

JPH

Dennis-- I like you knives and think you are doing good work.

I don't know bout suggestions. Sometimes they cause more problems than they help.

The only thing I see that might help you some. The pins-- It looks like you have been peining them. I epoxy mine and that way I don't crack or splinter any of my handles You can pein or roll the edges after the epoxy sets up hard, tapping real light like.. You can use a paper liner of your choice on the handle slabs.

You asked, now don't grab my ears and start kicking my shins.GRIN.

Good luck

Dennis,
I like the style of them all, the Bone handled Seax is my favorite, that one is sweet ! One little tip I can give you on drilling cleaner holes for your pins, Clamp the tang and handle material to a peice of scrap wood and drill. That way when the bit comes out the far side of the handle you won't get any tearing or splintering. Keep up the good work !

Jens

Suggestions:
1) Make more! Nothing beats experience.
2) Find someone to talk shop with, these Forums are great for that but, nothing beats going to someones shop and seeing what they do and how they work.
3) Take classes. Good way to learn what you are doing wrong!
4) Take the time to do it right. This comment needs some explanation. Each step must be done properly or it will mess up everything that follows it. Knives are a lot of work and the temptation is to say, "That's good enough." Put the extra effort into getting the results you want and each consecutive step will get easier, instead of harder. For example, sanding. Sand to 100 grit and if it is not right the scratches will show up at 200 grit. The temptation is to just sand them out with the 200 grit but, this will take longer and could leave a low spot where you do it. Take the time to go back to the 100 grit, it will go faster, and the end results will be better.