I Forge Iron

Facing newly acquired hammer

K. Bryan Morgan

I was able to get a 3 pound cross peen hammer at Atwoods Farm Supply,$10.99, the other day. It's made in Mexico, so I'm not sure what type of steel it is. It is forged, I can see the forging seams. The face has been ground from square, tapering in about 3/16" and the face is a series of concentric rings where it was ground at the factory, they are about 1/32 to almost a 1/16 inch deep.
I know, I know a picture would be easier, but I don't have a digital camera.
How or what is a good way to face the hammer with no access to power tools. Should I use files or heavy sandpaper or is there another way. I can't anneal or temper it. Well i could temper it in the oven, but no way to anneal. Just getting started collecting tools so any help would be appreciated.

If a file will cut it a file would work great. Start coarse and move to a fine file and you should be able to get it to a surface that is fine for forging.

if a file won't cut it and if you have that much relief to get through you would best be using power tools; perhaps time to pick up a cheap angle grinder.