I Forge Iron

Ceramic chip forge

bquinner

I meant to post a pic of my forge when people were asking about ceramic chip forges before.

Ceramic forges are excellent for someone who has just a few hours a month to get hammering. I have 2, one that I'd say is about 40 years old based on the blower and this one that I bought from a school that was made in 1983. When I got it all I had to do was connect the gas and I was forging in 10 minutes.

15707.attach

Now THAT is handy. I do most of my coal forging on weekends, because most nights it isn't worth all the work and mess of getting the coal started before dark. It would be awesome to have a relatively quick starting forge to get things rolling.

So those are just ceramic chips in the bowl? What is the bowl made of?

i once had a ceramic chip forge but i couldnt get on with it at all - just couldnt seem to get it hot enough - it had a firebrick/fireclay kind of base with air from beneath and 5 or 6 inches of chips. maybe the pieces i was trying to heat were too heavy for it? i dunno. got rid anyway - my little gas forge heats up really quick too like thomas just said. does your chip forge sound different to mine bquinner? im intrigued coz mine should have been fine - it was used in a shcool...

I've used one at my local college & found it frankly useless. The chips wouldn't move out of the way like coke. They had to keep being replaced as work melted & fused the chips together (not mine I might add! :D ). And the hot spot was small, so as you tried to push a piece into the spot, you moved the hot chips away & lost all the heat. I ended up putting some fire bricks on top to try & keep the heat in.
As in Beth's case they had around 5-6" of chips. Maybe it needed a lot more?