I Forge Iron

Swage ideas

Glenn

There has been some discussion on swage blocks and if they work and are needed in a blacksmith shop. Swages are nice if you can buy one but they are not needed if you quit looking and start seeing what you already have in a different way.

Photo 1 shows positive shapes.
Photo 2 shows negative shapes
Photo 3 shows the holder
Photo 4 shows how they can be combined to make a whole different tool.

I had a swage block for years but sold it for lots more than I paid for it. I found that while it was handy it took a lot to get the sucker to move, 312#. I found that I was using things from the salvage yard more often then the swage block. Things that I had made from cut offs, auto part, unknown machine parts and such. It's not that I'm dissing swage blocks but if you have one so big you need help to move it that is not a useful tool. I suggest that if you got to have one make sure you have a hoist to move it, more money, or one small enough to move by yourself. Me, I had lots of fun makeing my own tools over the years.:cool:

I had a swage block, that I took to demonstrations because it had shovel, bowl, and spoon hollows. It was convient and weighed only like 60 or so pounds. It didn't have what I really wanted which was through holes. When it was stolen I didn't concern my self about it..

ive got a not very good very heavy swage block which just lies on the floor and i hit my feet on, meanwhile i use everything else under the sun to shape stuff... theres so much lying about in my life that i prefer to use. Having said that if i had a nice crisp edged sweet little one i bet i would love it - and i would have moved it off the floor..

See, that's the problem getting it off of the floor or even rotating it on the stand. I have more or less, mostly more, quit smithing because of a bad back but moving 310# ain't easy. Mine was a huge one, more useful for making bolts and nuts. The nice thing though were the through holes, had lots, both square and round which were handy for punching big holes and making tenons, I found that I could cut a hole with a torch in a piece of 3/4" plate and weld a square tang on it and put it in the hardy hole and punch a lot easier.