I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing and/or Farriery experience near Lexington, KY?

Hi all... I've been interested in blacksmithing for a long while, but just recently decided to take the leap and get involved. I also ride horses (for nearly a year now, taking weekly lessons), so farrier work interests me as well.

I'm planning to take a 2-week course in January at the Kentucky Horseshoeing School. But in the meantime, I'm hoping to get some experience and hopefully learn some things, to make sure this is something I want to pursue.

Is there anybody in the area who I could watch work, or maybe help out? I'm afraid I don't have much money to pay for training, as I'm saving for the horseshoeing class, but neither do I expect compensation for working (other than the experience that is gained in the process). I work as a computer programmer during the day, so nights and weekends are my "free time." Thanks!

Edited by mcaldwell
notification preferences

Start with IforgeIron.com > Metalworking Lessons > Lessons in Blacksmithing
then go to Blacksmithing Groups > Kentucky Blacksmith Association
build your own solid fuel at Blueprints > BP0133 55 Forge

I suggest you have less than 6 months to get started and learn all you can so you can enter the school with at least some understanding of which end of the metal is hot. Practice is called hammer time, and you can only get it at the forge. Ask plenty of questions here and by the time you get to the class you will have enough experience to hit the ground running the first day.