I Forge Iron

WIP- Post Anvil Build

I decided to document my post anvil build.
Pic #1
This week I had 2 pieces of 5"x5" 4160 follow me home. They are a little over 29" long and weigh 206# each. One is going to be my post anvil.
Pic #2 and #3
I wanted some lifting lugs, just in case I decide to heat treat the face. There was no way to get a 206# piece of steel on the table of my floor model drill press. Sat my little 5 speed table top Clarke in the floor and used it to drill two 27/64" holes, 1 1/4" deep. Had to go very slow or the little Clarke would stall. Tapped for 1/2"-13 bolts 1" long.
Pic #4
For the stand, I used the stock I had on hand. The base is 1/2" plate, 16" square. The frame is 1 1/2"x3/16" angle. The cross braces are 3/8"x1" bar. With the cross brace spacing I have now, the anvil face height can be adjusted from 32" TO 34" IN 1/2" increments.
I will post more pics as the build continues.

15476.attach

15477.attach

15478.attach

15479.attach

Perhaps that anvil might work better if it was a little more to the right, no, back where it was, no try it over there!!!!!! Thank goodness furniture isn't as heavy as that anvil.

Good looking bit of gear that. Well done.

• 3 months later...

You might want to talk to some local smiths about assistance finding something affordable. If you go to the "User CP" at the top of this page and add your approximate location to your profile, then folks can help you find local smiths and other local resources. Your local scrap yard will likely have something better for a lot less.

i live in Sanford north Carolina and there isn't much around here except drugs fighting and theft not a lot of people are interested in the things i am and the local scrape yard refuses to sell to the public i have a huge 10 ft of railroad switch track but all i have done with it is lay it on the ground and use the flat wide bottom side i am in the process of making me a new forge off the ground because because my knees are beginning to kill me i am 17 and don't have much money

Markrose
I will assume that track is legally obtained and your to work with.

Find a way to cut that track. Chopsaws with good fiber metal cutting blades work well. Try networking some, and offer a piece of the track for service. If it is on dirt and you can't lift it, dig under it. Not the easy way, but it is safe. Since you are young and energetic you CAN cut it with a hand hacksaw and a few blades. Work on it for about an hour at a shot and you will be through it in a few sessions. Start at the web that normally sits on the ground.

Have fun, that is a good resource you have.

Phil

.....Find a way to cut that track. Chopsaws with good fiber metal cutting blades work well. Try networking some, and offer a piece of the track for service. ..Phil

Very good advice. Someone near you will very likely have the ability to cut the track. Cut off a length and bury one end in the ground. A tool dealer had a very *large* handled-chisel that he said was used as a RR track-cutter, so old track could probably be cut with a chisel if you have one large enough, and are careful of your fingers.

-------

So the smith said to his assistant, "when I nod my head, hit it with the sledge hammer". :D