I Forge Iron

15 n 20

Charlotte

I know that 15 N 20 is frequently used as a constrast material. Someone asked me if it had any affect on carbon migration. I had to say I don't know.

Has anyone look at this or should we just assume that it gets too thin to matter in pattern welded blades?

Its good practice to use it with a very similar steel, that doesnt have the 2% Nickle, 1080 is very close. That way migration isnt an issue, and it pretty well wants to weld, and H.T is a doddle.

I assume that the carbon will migrate from the 15n20 though if welded with a different carbon content steel, its just the nickle molecules that wont migrate, as relativly their very big :o

I think its just pure nickle that acts as a barrier and prevents C migration in a patternwelded billet.

edit...

(Udderholm C20 is near enough exactly the same steel as 15n20 without the 2% nickle so is the perfect match!)

Edited by John N

I myself wondered the same thing though I don't usually forge weld it with any really dissimlar steels. One thing that I have not seen ever( though I'm sure it's been done) is the making of a knife strictly from 15n20 It would be interesting to see how it test out. The only obstical I forsee is getting a thick enough bar of the stuff to start with as most of the time it's sold in the thin stock for the sole purpose of making damascus. Wes

Made filet knives out of it and it worked just fine.

I also believe it is just pure nickel that the carbon will not migrate through.
Anything else carbon migration occurs

How much Oxygen is bound up with the carbon in the steel matrix ?

I am aware that nickel wont form carbides, but 15N20 is not an effective barrier to carbon migration in my experience, or the lab testing I have seen, we need a lot more than 2% nickel for that.