I Forge Iron

Just saying hello...

dustinfamily

About 3 weeks ago saw a RXR spike knife in a catalog then watched some videos on you tube and thought. Hey I got a hammer some old pliers and a piece of old rail for an anvil, I think I can do that. I bought some charcoal. got an old air compressor and started hammering away.
Not quite as easy as it looked. since then I met a real blacksmith and was able to get a real set of tongs and got a good supply of spikes for practice.

Been working on a brake drum forge and this has been a blast for my son and I. He's 9 but can swing the hammer pretty well. We have only fired up the forge twice but have learned something each time, I learned that a 3lb hammer can be a workout and he learned we can roast marshmallows as the forge cools off.

I don't know that I'll ever be a Knifesmith but at this point it seems like it could be very addictive.

I'm sure I'll be asking alot of questions here in the near future, so please bear with me.

Mark

Welcome aboard Mark, glad to have ya.

Forging with you son will be some of the best memories you two make whether a knife ever happens or not. FYI RR spikes do not have enough carbon to make a real knife but it's good practice anyway.

There're plenty of bladesmiths here to get you headed in the right direction.

If you'll click "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know where you are then can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

What the HEY, we're darned near neighbors! What's 300 miles in AK after all? See how important location info is?

I know there are bladesmiths in your neighborhood a few in bareflanks anyway. I'll ask around and send off what I find. If you can swing a road trip the next Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths meeting is in Palmer Aug. 1.

Frosty

Small world eh? I don't know Bob Hook, maybe you can talk him into coming to the meeting too?

I'll PM directions to the meeting. We'll be having one in Talkeetna soon and that'd save you 75 miles or so.

How long have you been in North Pole?

Frosty