I Forge Iron

Selling my anvil, how much to charge?

Hi, first here, too. I was trying to find out a little about an anvil I've had for about 15 years so I know how how much to ask when I sell it. It has nicks of some sort all over the side that look original as it hasn't seen much use and I don't think anyone used the side. All I can make out is a "G B" then the weight, ( 2-0-2 ) and 1943. I own 2 others so the old girl has to go to pay bills. Can you help me identify and value it? I'm in Florida. Thanks, Rick P.S. I don't know how to send an image, here ( URL of image? ) so if you Email me I'll send a picture of it. sgrillo@earthlink.net

Welcome aboard Rick, glad to have ya.

To post pics scroll down to the "Go Advanced" button below the "Quick Reply" text window and click it.

Scroll down in the screen that opens to the "Manage Attachments" Button and click it.

The window that opens will have a number of "Browse" buttons, click one and select a pic from a file on your computer.

Repeat until you have all the pictures you want selected and click the "Upload" button.

When the window returns empty, close it and scroll back up to your message and finish it if necessary and click "Submit."

Your pictures will be attached at the bottom of your post as thumbnail links.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. It'll also let the local folk know you're around so they can factor pickup into the price of your anvil as opposed to shipping. They can also invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

I can't value your anvils for you but want to throw in my two cents:

Don't fall into the price/pound trap. I hear guys express the value of their anvils on a per-pound basis and believe it's wrong. Go buy steel and sell scrap by weight, but not anvils. Each anvil should be assesed individually with the thought that a good anvil is a value-added product and should have value-based pricing.