I Forge Iron

First anvil - just picked up

As a beginner who will ultimately only make small tools and knives, I was satisfied with my 31 lb piece of RR track. However, I saw this anvil advertised and found it was located just 30 minutes from where I live so I had to go see it ( it was calling me ). It is apparently a Columbian USA 94 lb anvil that measures 21-1/4 from the tip of the horn to the tail. The flat area is 3-7/16 x 13-7/16 and stands approx 8-7/8 tall. There is a 3/4" hardy hole and a 1/2" prichert hole (SP?) It looks to be in good condition and has a nice ring to it ( all over ). I got it for $150 dollars and he included a nice pair of tongs. The only area of concern is under the tail. It looks to be pitted, maybe just a poor casting? What do you guys/gals think?

15315.attach

15316.attach

15317.attach

15318.attach

15319.attach

Looks like a casting defect. Good deal! Just be careful of working on the heel.
Check out Nakedanvil's posts in the Hardie tools thread. (general Blacksmithing discussion) Use the offset style of hardies/bottom fuller/swages which he describes.

That looks like a good anvil for your planned use! Hang on to your rail anvil.
You will find that there are moments when that it is just the shape/thickness/ what ever that you need. Placed on floor it is convient for upsetting the end onf a long rod

Edited by Charlotte
typo

Columbians are cast steel no if about it! (Folks; may I commend "Anvils in America" to everyone's attention? Saves a lot of guessing).

The underside is quite a rough casting I would not hammer metal on it unless you need the distressed look. BentIron1946's suggestion of not doing heavy work over it is spot on and as a "light" anvil you shouldn't be doing heavy work over the heel anyway!

Decent Price, Decent Face that you could take a swipe over with an angle grinder if you feel you have too; but I'd suggest using it a while before doing so.

I have a friend who had a 400# Columbian that was also painted red; may be original! And if so then it hasn't been through a fire.

Read the threads on how to quiet an anvil as the cast steel ones tend to be LOUD!

Well Done!

Looks like a casting defect. Good deal! Just be careful of working on the heel.
Check out Nakedanvil's posts in the Hardie tools thread. (general Blacksmithing discussion) Use the offset style of hardies/bottom fuller/swages which he describes.

That looks like a good anvil for your planned use! Hang on to your rail anvil.
You will find that there are moments when that it is just the shape/thickness/ what ever that you need. Placed on floor it is convient for upsetting the end onf a long rod

First, thanks to all for your input. Charlotte, thanks for pointing me at the Hardie tool thread. Lots of great ideas and the offset tools definitely make sense especially for my anvil. Thanks again.