I Forge Iron

Tripod Layout

John NC

I searched the forum, got nothing, Googled, got nada again. Let me ask y'all here: Is there an easy way to lay out the triangular pattern (spacing of the legs) of a tripod?

I'm working on three legged bowls and am having trouble getting the 120 degree dimension between adjacent legs even. What I'm looking for is a quick way to draw an equilateral (equiangular?) Y on the bottom of the bowl. Some sort of stiff-yet-flexible template maybe? :confused:

Thanks in advance,
John

make and equilateral triangle of three equal length rods that has an inscribed circle equal to the diameter of your bowl at the point you want to place your legs.

Set the bowl inside. Where it touches the bowl is where you want to mark for your legs.

No need to get fancy. Eye ball every thing just make sure all three lengths of the rods are equal. When they are and the placement looks good mark it.

Or take three strips of hard plastic - like from a bleach bottle. Punch a hole in one end of each and put a small bolt/nut through it. Now measure out equal marks from that pivot point - like in a ruler.

When you need to use it, spread it out flat with the three legs spaced out about the right angles. Then measure the distance between equal marks on each leg. When the distance is the same from each leg to the others, then it is spaced out correctly. Tighten your bolt/nut to hold it all in place.

To use, just lay it on the bottom of your bowl/dish. Then press each strip down around the sides and mark. A quick check with a flexible ruler between your marks should give you equal distances.

I keep one of those plastic rulers they sell for seamstresses/sewing in the shop. The old ones were cloth, the modern ones are plastic. It conforms around things much easier that trying to use a straight-edge ruler. The only worry I have is that I have occasionally gotten it a bit too close to hot iron when measuring! Only one "melted" edge spot -- so far.

I use it all the time. Like measuring the circumference of a pipe. Or how long a piece of 1/2 square bar to make a second double-scrolled sign bracket.

I also keep some of the old copper electrical wire handy - like the old farm overhead wiring stuff. I cleaned that old fiber/tar coating off. When I need to lay out a scrolled sign bracket, I bend that copper wire out to the approximate size/shape I need. This allows me to tweak the size of every part before I start heating/bending/drawing the iron bars out. And I can lay the finished piece right on that copper wire "pattern" to check. It also gives me something to measure to get the approximate length of iron bars to start with. When done, I just roll it up and stash it on the shelf for the next project. Occasionally I anneal that copper wire. It does work harden over use.

Mikey

Edited by Mike Ameling

Lots of very good ideas here. Thanks all!
Considering the un-uniformity of my bowls I'll have to try a few of these to see which ones work best in which situations.

Mike, I love flexible plastic rulers. I have one right here in my desk, one downstairs in my wood shop and one at the shop. Couldn't do without 'em. And the bend-a-facsimile-out-of-wire trick was one of the first things I learned when I started smithing!

Thanks again, all.

Hey, glad to help.

I'm more of a "visual" designer. A few quick bends/kinks with copper wire gives me size, proportion, lengths. But Jay at Big River Forge grew up in that design/drafting school. He prefers to sketch things out on the computer using one of the CAD programs. And then he lets the computer tell him lengths of material to use (plus the guess-ti-mating for drawing tapers).

Now, when I make up some of those Spider frypans (a skillet with three riveted on long legs) I just eye-ball it. A slight variance matters little with them. And this also shows up when you look at some of the originals from the 1700's.

Mikey

p.s. Now to get back to making a couple 1700's style shovels/spades, and then "convert" them into a small frypan - like the one original they found that some Rev War soldier made up. The fun ... projects ... we play with.

Ok folk, here's what I came up with based on an amalgam of your ideas.

Introducing the Super Tri-Star 3000! (R.I.P. Billy Mays)

First, draw an equilateral triangle on half a manilla folder (thin flexible plastic would be more durable, but I couldn't find any around the house), then bisect the sides.

Then, cut out the star shape, punch a hole in the center, and every 1/2 inch down each leg.

To use, apply to bowl with magnets or masking tape. Choose the holes you want to use to mount your legs and mark.

Bada bing, you're done.
Thanks again, all.

15322.attach

15323.attach

15324.attach

Edited by mod07

"thin flexible plastic would be more durable"
does any of your binders(notebooks) have the thin plastic page keepers in the front?
they'ed be about right for that template
even a copper sheet would work as it would bend to fit the contour of your pot..
I like it I'll have to make one up