4. Surface defects
5. coldshuts
6. Over / under forging
7. bends
8. Kinks
9. Poor /open jointing
10. finish quality
11. Lack of accuracy to specifications

i'm so stuck on this, like how am i ment to describe a bend as a fault and what are galls! if anyone can help me with atleast galls you would be a star.

This sounds a lot like a homework question, to me. That said, I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "galls", with respect to blacksmithing.

"Galling" is a phenomenon of two metal parts rubbing, where one part pull metal from the other part, resulting in a rough surface. This is not friction wear (abrading); it is either displacement of the metal, as in gouging, or it is solid-state bonding of the two surfaces under pressure, resulting in the displacement of metal from one surface to the other. It usually happens when you have two metal surfaces with very nearly identical coefficients of friction and surface finish/hardness rubbing on each other. The mild steel shaft rotating in a mild steel bushing, for example. If one metal is softer than the other, it will wear through friction abrasion.

That is a really clumsy explanation of the galling process, I'm afraid, but I don't seem to be able to do any better right now.

1. Burns
When the blacksmith grabs the hot end of the iron.

2. Galls
When the blacksmith expects paid for his work.

3. Internal / external cracking
The mental health of the blacksmith after a hard week.

4. Surface defects
A sweaty shirt, dirty hands, cuts, blisters, 3 day beard,etc

5. Coldshuts
This is rare, but asking the bothersome client that can not be pleased, to step outside then shutting the door.

6. Over / under forging
Over - taking way too long to complete a project. Under - not taking enough time to finish a project.

7. Bends
The muscle pain from too many hours of working slumped over an anvil that is set too low.

8. Kinks
See bends.

9. Poor /open jointing
Poor - Not being able to attend the hammer-ins (Blacksmith meetings) that you want. Open - Being welcomed with handshakes to the hammer-in outside your state.

10. Finish quality
1st, 2nd, or 3rd place in the farriers speed contest making horse shoes.

11. Lack of accuracy to specifications
The difference between the plans designed by an engineer using 6 decimals and being built by a blacksmith using a 3# hammer.

I think Rich Waugh explained it nicely. This happens a lot when two metal surfaces are suppose to be lubricated with, for instance, oil. When there is a lack of lubrication, one or both surfaces will begin to break down due to heat caused by friction.

LOL 6013! :)

1. Burns - What happens when the temperature tolerance of humans, animals and plants is exceded and damage to the protective outer layer occures, causing pain, swelling and sever stress to the area.

2. Galls - Part of an oak tree that was crushed for the gallotannic acid which was mixed with iron sulfate and water to make ink, Bach, daVinci and Rembrant all used it. It was also used to write the Dead Sea Scrolls and our own Constitution, -- Galling or Gaulding - what happens when two similar or disimalar metals rub together causing friction and heat and they gaul or friction weld themselves together. --- Its also a painful iflammation caused by friction, lack of hygiene etc. in the groin and armpit area of humans.

3. Internal / external cracking - Structural failure of metal, wood and bones caused by overloading or overstressing the limits of the part.

4. Surface defect - Abnormalities or defects in the outer layer of something.

5. coldshuts - Incomplete fusion when joining two or more pieces when not enough heat is applied to make the surface plastic enough to fuse together.

6. Over / under forging - Working (forging) a piece to much or not enough.

7. bends - Any defiation from a straight line.

8. Kinks - What happens when a bend is too sharp and it overstresses the material enough that it can never be brought back straight again.

9. Poor /open jointing - When a mechanical joint between two pieces, is either poorly crafted or haphazardly made.

10. finish quality - The finished appearance of an article. Rough, dented, rusted, smooth etc..

11. Lack of accuracy to specifications - When the plus or minus measurements of an article are not adhered to, or poor craftsmanship was performed. Lack of attention to specific measurements or details.

Rich's explanation of galling is not the least bit clumsy - in fact, it is dead on (I suspect he already knows that...LOL).

In building molds, dies and other tools that are subjected to high pressure, load, high speeds, etc., or some combination thereof, it is common practice to use dissimiliar materials and hardnesses to prevent galling, which is just exactly what Rich described. It would be enough to put a piece of S7 against a piece of H13, with the former at 55 Rc and the latter around 48, to make a good combination of wear surfaces.

My question is why do you want to know all this - is it really homework?

What the heck, I guess I don't really care if it is homework. As long as you actually learn something.

1. Burns: In forging, this refers to overheating the metal, resulting in anything from loss of carbon at the very surface to loss of material at and even below the surface due to excessive oxidation of the metal. Too much heat and/or too oxidizing a fire causes this.

2. See my post above.

3. Cracking: The result of improper forging. Too many light blows to the surface of a dense cross-section piece will deliver only shallow penetration of the forces, resulting in the surface moving (stretching) more than the core. When the stretching exceeds the elasticity and crystalline strength of the steel, the surface will crack. Conversely, it is possible to over forge a piece, usually with really heavy blows alternating in opposing axes (axises?) to the point that the core becomes disrupted and cracks. Tough to do with a hand hammer, but easy to do on a powerhammer. Not to mention that hammering on cold steel will result in cracking because the metal is not hot enough to be in a plastic state, and is .therefore, unable to maintain the integrityof its crystalline structure.

4. What you see is what you get. Mis-hits, scale hammered into the work, etc.

5. Coldshuts: When forging a tight corner, it is easy to over forge the inside of the corner, resulting in a small flap of metal getting folded over. This creates a stress-riser that will eventually lead to failure through crack propagation. Sometimes, it looks okay until you stress it. What you see is *not* necessarily what you get, in other words. Also, a "cold join", or one in which the entire mating surface (scarfs) did not weld.

6. Self explanatory, I would think. You can get too much of a good thing, just as you can get too little.

7. Nitrogen bubbles dissolved in the tissues of the joints expand when rising too quickly to the surface from a deep dive causing “the bends”. Sorry, I should know better. This too, seems self-explanatory, but I suppose the answer has to do with developing bending in a piece other than at the point of forging, due to inertial forces exerted on and expressed in, unsupported long bars. Maybe.

8. I’ll not discuss my kinks in an open forum, thank you. SUrely you can describe a kink.

9. ‘Zactly what Jr. said: cruddy work on fabrication and fit up of a join.

10. Here again, what you see is what you get.

11. Self-explanatory to even the uninitiated. If it ain’t like the blueprint, then it isn’t right. Out of specification. Old machinist I worked for used to tell me, “Follow the blasted blueprint…even if it flies out the blasted window!” (Okay, I cleaned up his language a bit.)