I Forge Iron

manual punch

john_zxz

Hi, I was interested in buying a flypress, but I live in Canada and the only ones I saw were from USA and it will cost me too much on shipping. Then I saw this manual punch on Euroforgings.com The price is very affordable for my budget. It has a capacity of 20 tons and can punch 3/4" hole through 5/16" thick mild steel or 5/8" hole through 3/8" thick mild steel.

I want to know if it is possible replace the punch or weld a plate to the punch to do flatenning, drawing out or bending hot iron like the tools we use on a flypress. The bottom die can be replaced by a thinner one. The usual size of stock I work with is 1/4"to 1" mild steel. Would it be enough powerful to forge with it?

Also, if it is possible, is it safe to use it that way?

Here are the dimensions:
Throat depth: 6 1/4"
Stroke:3/4"
Dimensions (W x D x H) 5 1/2" x 17 1/8" x 31 1/2"
Weight:163 lbs (73 kg)

15156.attach

A lot of the work a flypress does is during the insanely huge spike in pressure that happens as the system bottoms out and the ram "bounces" back up. That press will not generate anything like the pressure curve of a fly press.

It may be ok for bending.

Keep looking---my large flypress (42" wheel on top with drop down bars to grab it by) cost me just under US$100 what with the auction price buyer's reaming and $35 to have it loaded on my truck for me by a rigger.