I Forge Iron

Spear point

I don't know if this is the place to post these pic's but I got all excited about doing a hollow grind.

10" wheel KMG
1/4"x11/4 mild steel
marked 2 guide lines aprox. .050

I started out to do single edge grind but couldn't help trying the double edge, so I had no center line, made a push stick out of oak flooring piece, and followed the chat tutorial
didn't concentrate on the plunge too much with everything going on with position etc.

Off to burn up more stock. Thanks for looking
10_wheel_grind_005.JPG 10_wheel_grind_005.JPG 10_wheel_grind_005.JPG 10_wheel_grind_002.JPG

Thanks for looking Rich.
Mike, I got the 10" from KMG. As to optimum size ,I don't know, many people seem to use 8" I went with 10" for a little flatter grind, It may be easier to grind with an 8" because of the tighter arc, when you establish the dish in your blade it kinda clicks in when you press the blade to the wheel, this is speculation on my part, so hopefully those with more experience will chime in.

I'd like to see your grinder, what size wheel are you using?

I'm about a mile from Big R (140&62) bring mikehr over with you and try out the KMG.

Mark

I`m new to forging, but stock removal was my bread and butter (Literaly how I earned a living) for years. The smaller wheel creates a deeper dish in the blade and just makes it easier to find your groove again and again. 8" seems to pretty much standard, but I've known guys to use as big as 12" and as small as 4". It`s all personal preferance.

Still, I find it easier and more relaxing to flat gind on a platen or a disk instead.

Edited by mod07
typo

I did a few more practice grinds, comments, advise, criticisms encouraged. Not entirely sure what I'm doing. The little blade is ground on 10" wheel 36 grit.
practice_grinds_006.JPG
practice_grinds_007.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Mark

Edited by mod07
photo thumb repair