I Forge Iron

paul40m

paul40m

Hello, I live in Cottonwood, Ca. I own a heavy duty truck repair bussiness. I just got a old large 6" post vise and want to mount it to my portable 4 ft. X 5 ft. welding table. Not sure how high to mount it keeping the foot leg from dragging when I move it around, and am I defeating the purpuse of having a large post vise by not being able to work all around it. Any suggestins ?
Thanks, Paul

Welcome to I Forge Iron, Most the time the post is supposed to be solid on the floor to assist in taking the beating. If its not on the ground, you limit the abuse it can take, as all the pressure is into the top mount only. Just my opinion.

Welcome aboard Paul, glad to have ya.

If you look at the bottom of the post/leg you'll notice a smallish pin below the upset collar it was typically embedded in the floor to keep it from moving in use. I have one mounted to a table and the post fits in a hole in a small piece of channel iron welded to the table leg, flange down. It isn't ideal but it lets me move the table without much hassle.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If local folk know you're there they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty