I Forge Iron

Built a new charcoal forge

WillyP

Well I was finally able to finish my charcoal forge project.

Here is a few pics.

With my test fire I just let a piece of steel burn right through as you can see in the pics.

Welded the fire pot up from 3/8X6 Flat bar. The air is fed in through a 1/8 wall X 1-1/4" pipe with 5/16" holes drilled into it.

The top is 1/8" sheet steel with some angle welded on as an edge.

The blower in the pics is far too powerfull.

The little blob in the last oic is the end of the rod that burned through.

15058.attach

15059.attach

15060.attach

15061.attach

15062.attach

15063.attach

15064.attach

Looks like it works well.

The one that jumps out at me I think I would've done differently is the air grate. It's going to burn out sooner or later. I would've made the fire pot with it's own bottom, passed the air grate pipe in through a hole in the end, and mudded it in.

It's easy to over blast a fire, especially a charcoal fire. Breaking the charcoal into smaller pieces will help by increasing the surface area and reducing the open channels air can blow through without the oxy being consumed.

Frosty

Thanks for your input guys!

I did not actually know that a bit smaller lump would be better, but now I do so I'll definately use that info!

Matt, I agree, I need better air control. I am working on that. Any suggestions? :confused: I'm open. One thing I did do though is make the length variable on that grate by using another piece of pipe that blocks the air holes from the one end. In theory, I can use the whole 10 -12" of the fire pot length, or just a few inches.

Now on the practical side of that theory, I have found that a bit of debris does get down the holes and sort of bind the stopper pipe. So far not too bad and since the stopper pipe comes right out it's easy to clean. And again, this is where a better air flow control would be ideal, since having only 3 open holes will require less air than 10.

Frosty,
I had it in mind that the air tube would eventually need replacing as I was welding it all together, and as it would happen, I totally forgot about it the second I popped my welding helmet on my head and lowered the sheild! :o

Now providence is a great thing, concidering I had not even checked to see if my holes were facing in the correct direction, AND, as it would happen, that tube only ended up with a very small weld at each end before I lifted the helmet and returned to my senses! :D

Some of us are dangerous in the dark!

:D

You know Willy if I hadn't done that very thing more than once I wouldn't be laughing with you right now. :rolleyes: Somebody must like you or the air holes would be aimed at the side and useless.

The little air stop in the tube is a good idea, just keep it moving and it won't jam too bad.

There are a couple ways to control the air blast depending on how your blower motor is set up. If the motor depends on air flow from the blower for cooling you need to use a diverter in the air line so the air can keep flowing while you divert it away from the fire.

If the motor has it's own cooling fan you can simply block the blower air intake or outlet.

Frosty

Frosty,
I had it in mind that the air tube would eventually need replacing as I was welding it all together, and as it would happen, I totally forgot about it the second I popped my welding helmet on my head and lowered the sheild! :o

Now providence is a great thing, concidering I had not even checked to see if my holes were facing in the correct direction, AND, as it would happen, that tube only ended up with a very small weld at each end before I lifted the helmet and returned to my senses! :D

Some of us are dangerous in the dark!

:D

• 5 months later...