I Forge Iron

Keeping the Blade Straight?

Drako11

Hello all,

My brother and I have been messing around for a little while with RR Spikes, making some knives. We have made a couple crude ones that should look better once ground down, but all the blades curve up.

Now I know that the blade starts curving up when you starts narrowing down the cutting edge. I want to make a knife like a sort of machette with a straight spine. How can I keep the blade from curving up or when it curves up tap it back down? Do I just flip it over and tap the cutting edge till the spine is straight?

Thanks!

the curve is from hammering the edge. you are stretching the edge side , making it longer compared to the spine and hence the curve. i would try keeping it straight as you go not letting it get very far out before correcting it.....you may get better suggestions.

Yes, when the blade is hot place it spine down on the anvil and tap it back to straight. Do this often rather than waiting till it's very thin and then wanting to do a massive ammount of straightening!

Note that using a chunk of wood as your hammer can help prevent hammer dings in your edge---old baseball bat or chunk of tree limb will work!

In forging blades from files I usually cut the file in two on a long diagonal and then forge so the cut edge becomes the new back.

I've watched any number of demonstrators prebend the blade, once it is in a rough tapered blank, to some degree depending on the final intended shape so that only minor corrections are need in the last few of heats.
PS Prebend in the opposite direction of the final curve that is.

Edited by Charlotte
PS

Great suggestions! Pre-bending I never thought of that brilliant! I think I am going to incorporate the wooden hammer and pre-bending. Just pre-bend and since I've never done it I will probably have to make corrections with a wooden hammer. Thanks for the help guys!