I Forge Iron

basement smithy? Bad idea?

So, with the rebuild of the smithy, I of course, want to expand. It turns out that due to (incredibly forward looking and completely appropriate) [edited after language reprimand :)] local zoning, I am not legally allowed to build "'roofs on more than 25% of the land I own".

I am limited to 10x19, a shed can not be two stories here either.

Now 10x19 is pretty nice, but I have had my heart on 10x28 since we started drawing up plans and already I have that pretend smithy full of woodworking tools...

So, one of the options is to add on to the house. This requires footings so deep, that you might as well make a basement while doing that. Basically, I would have smithy in the basement and woodworking above.

Is this a bad idea?

I am concerned about the smell of coal,
Possible fire danger
Dust from the woodroom in the house

Other things that I can not think of.

Edited by urnesBeast
Language

I have heard others on the forum discussing a smithy in terms of how it can affect your homeowners insurance. I think that your insurer would not look kindly upon one in your actual house. Obviously you don't have to tell them but it would be a real problem if you had a serious fire - maybe not even related to the forge - and find yourself disqualified from coverage. I know you hate to give up that extra 90 sq. ft. of floor space, but if I were you I would put it in an outbuilding as far away from the main house as possible.

My workshop is about 10x20 and it's packed with tools. All my forging goes on outside these days though due to the fact that the interior floors are wood and the shop is only about 8 feet from the house. Obviously rain is a problem so one of these days I'm going to build a small pole barn separate from everything. I live in hill country so I don't have zoning to contend with, but there's the small matter of resources! For now my forge and anvil live outside and I slide a caddy of forging tools and my vise out when I need them.

I wonder if you can circumvent the zoning committee with a small patio and a retractable awning outside a shed/shop door? At least you would be able to expand operations when the weather is decent - and a rolling tool caddy or 2 would make it easy to get your tools out fast. It's a little jury-rigged, but it's a thought.

Good luck!

Personally, I would not want to risk the house if an accident happens. I mentioned a similar item to a friend that was OA & arc welding in his basement. After the 3rd time he had to hunt for the source of a tendril of smoke coming from under or behind something on the other side of the room, he finally decided to do the welding outside, while he saving up money for a garage/barn.

I would also stress caution of wood working and forging in the same building for similar reasons. Wood dust will burn, just like coal dust, flour dust, etc... when it gets airborne. Just think how many silos & mines have popped off due to airborne dust and a stray spark... If you woodwork upstairs and forge downstairs, the hammering on the anvil can shake the upper floor enough to shake sawdust between the floor boards. Hopefully if you do this you don't plan on getting a power hammer...

If anything woodwork in your current basement (if you have any room) and forge in a separate structure.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Rich C>

The biggest concern with forging in any structure ends up being ventilation. You need to vent out that forge smoke. But you also need to replace that air with fresh air coming in.

Home insurance is a big problem. If you ... charge ... for anything you do or make, your normal home-owners insurance will not cover any loss. A friend found that out when he caught part of his attached garage on fire while arc-welding a car part for a buddy. THE FIRST QUESTION his insurance agent asked him was IF he had charged the guy for welding it. He said NO, and then the agent told him the rest of the possible "horror story". His fire was covered, but could just as easily have not been.

A different friend ended up with that new construction on an exiting lot problem. The "technicality" he used to get around it was if the new addition was ATTACHED to an existing house or garage. So all his little additions were always ATTACHED to either the house of the existing garage. But he mostly just worked on restoring and overhauling vehicles. Plus he worked for John Deere and set up his "shop" with all safety in mind. So he didn't do any forging or foundry work at home - just some welding and machining. His home-owners insurance reflected what he did and had in those extended buildings. He ended up with just a little strip of lawn out front of the house, with the rest of his lot covered with ... 2 ... buildings.

My forge was just under a large plastic tarp for years. First just covered over, uncovered to use, then tucked back under. Later I put up wood poles and set the tarp up like a tent with ropes out to stakes to hold it all in place.

Something you might check into would be Temp Structures, or those utility/garden sheds and any regulations associated with them.

Good luck with your project.

Mikey

I have had problems with the anvil not being properly grounded in the first smithy, so I want to make sure it is part of the earth!

Why do you think I should reverse?

Well I wouldn't want a forge in a basement for all of the above reason, but mostly due to worry of fire. Thats why I said reverse it. The point about have the anvil on the earth is a good one though.

In my case for a variance I had to go to the building department with my plans and get rejected, then to planning and zoning for an application for a variance, then to the county board of supervisors for their approval. It was all contingent on the recommendation of P &Z. If they didn't approve the variance my next stop would have been superior court with a lawyer but it never got that far. You may want to try that before you go and build an addition to your house.