I Forge Iron

Farriers anvil

Can anyone tell me why a regular non horshoeing blacksmith would NOT want to work on a farriers anvil? I just got a heck of a deal on a HAY BUDDEN anvil, about 145# and it needs a little tlc, tremendous rebound, and really appears to be a good anvil.

A farriers' anvil tends to have more of a horn on it than the classic London pattern anvil. That extended "horn" offers more options when forming horse shoes. Kind of like having a CONE mandrel helps when forming rings. More of a horn means more options for size/diameter and curves for bends. Plus, some farrier's anvils also have two pegs sticking out of the one side - to also help you "bend" horse shoes.

The other thing is that many farriers' anvils tend to be smaller and a little more "portable". It's a little easier to lug them around to do your work on-site.

I have a Haybudden anvil out on the one workbench - around 120#. It is the classic London pattern, but has a few things kind of pointed towards farriers. It has a little longer horn, and it has the "toe clip" extension on the side of the anvil step - between the horn and face. But the whole anvil has the majority of the "mass" directly below the anvil face. And is a normal height and length. So there should be no problems using it for normal work --- associated with using a 120# anvil.

Mikey