I Forge Iron

GE Anvil- a good buy?

Hi guys,

I have the opportunity to upgrade to a really good anvil and have found a 125lb. 'GE' one that's in pretty good shape save for some shallow marks on the face, which I'm sure I can polish out. The seller wants $400 for it. I haven't seen it in person, but assuming it is in good shape (rings true, etc.), is this a decent one to get and is the price actually reasonable?

I've searched here and on the 'net and haven't found any information about the brand, unfortunately so have no idea what's thought of it. Any help that you can offer would be most appreciated.

Matt

Here are some photos of it- the cast markings and the scars on the face (are they okay or bad?)

14862.attach

14863.attach

Edited by FERRARIVS

LOL Well that's good to know- I wondered if it were a bit high and the face a little soft. What might be a more 'reasonable' value for this one? And of course I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion- the more the better so I can make a well-informed decision. I only want to do this once...

Call up Nimba Anvils in Port Townsend and get a real anvil! Its' not a purchase, it's an investment! Really. In the last forty years I have never seen GOOD anvils go down in value - ever. Whole lot more than I can say for my stocks. And you can drive down and pick it up, what a deal! I have no connection to Nimba Anvils.

Thanks I appreicate the suggestion, but regrettibly, those are a bit rich for my means- I could afford around $500 but not any more and then only if it's a really good one- and that'd have to include any incidentals such as travel or shipping LOL What would you pay for the GE though? Or is it just not worth considering because it's on the softer side?

That is in fact a farriers anvil. Much like the Cliff Carrol brand that I am currently using. It has a little clip horn off of the main horn. It is a really good anvil for what it is, not necessarily a blacksmith anvil.

That anvil will cost about $600.00 brand new. I think $400.00 is not too bad as that anvil appears to be in pretty fair shape. You can go to Anvilbrand.com for pricing. (I think they still sell them)

Yeah, Anvilbrand is the only place I found this anvil when I was looking for commentary about it- and the $595 price tag made me think $400 might be fair, but then price doesn't equal value often enough- especially with nothing to compare it to, or any specifics on how good the brand is...

Call up Nimba Anvils in Port Townsend and get a real anvil! Its' not a purchase, it's an investment! Really. In the last forty years I have never seen GOOD anvils go down in value - ever. Whole lot more than I can say for my stocks. And you can drive down and pick it up, what a deal! I have no connection to Nimba Anvils.

I have to 2nd this. For a few hundred dollars more you could have a brand new mint condish Anvil of superior quality or even scout around for something used that is better. A lot of guys have the Nimba Titan and all seem to swear by it. As Naked said, once your not just buying an ASO, your looking at this as investment to have over countless years. So I would hold onto your $400 and carefully watch and peruse adding to your money as you go. Then you'll make a great purchase.

Ah yes, good point- sorry LOL I make recreation ancient arms and armour- Roman, Greek, etc. so work exclusively in low-carbon steel and iron when I can get it- so no high-carbon or harder alloyed steels. At least not regularly- I do make tools for my own needs from time to time but they're usually small (chisels, punches, etc.). The biggest things I make are short swords and a type of entrenching tool that's about the size of a large hatchet or small axe and I've actually managed just fine until now with a 55lb ASO...

And thanks Avadon and Finnr- I would like to be able to save more and get something superior, but really this is something of a unique opportunity; the funds I have now will likely have to go elsewhere if I don't find something in the next month or six weeks and buying new, if only for the excessive shipping costs precluding anything good, really isn't going to work I'm afraid. I'm religated to finding something used, which is fine by me really- I just want to be sure I'm upgrading sufficiently to warrant the expendature. Iron objects are only a segment of what I make, so I can't really justify spending more than I have on a bandsaw or other tools for woodwork or whatever.

Edited by FERRARIVS