I Forge Iron

hello all, im new to blacksmithing (i haven't even hit hot metal yet... how embarrassing) but im keen to start and have been looking for some starter equipment. today i bought from what i have read here is a 200 pound vulcan anvil. i paid 100 Canadian dollars, its not the nicest anvil but i thought it would get me going in the right direction. it looks to have a steel face and cast iron body part is broken off just before the hardy hole. the area between the horn and face is pretty messed up. i did some rebound tests and with a hammer i was able to maybe get 65% rebound. there is no ring. let me know your thoughts... is it a vulcan? good price too?
thanks
peace.

14778.attach

14779.attach

14780.attach

14781.attach

Seen better and worse. Vulcans are bottom line anvils. They however are a good starter anvil. My first real anvil was a minty 100lb vulcan sold to a local guy after up grading. I liked it and he still has it( about a yr ) Beats a piece of beam anyday. Enjoy, by the way
mine sold for $200 USD.
Ken

She may not be pretty but I can't see anything really wrong with it. For $0.50/lb you did very well.

Now all that remains is to build a fire and beat some hot steel on it.

A hole in the ground, piece of black iron pipe and a blow drier makes a fine forge.

Frosty

Plenty of life left in that one. It has cracked across from the pritchel hole. Somebody must have been abusing that corner. The reason I am writing is to tell you you can manage fine without the pritchel. I am currently using an anvil which never had a pritchel and don't really miss it much. (I don't do much punching and you probably won't in your early stages). When you feel the need to do a lot of punching might be the time to buy a less damaged anvil. Meanwhile use that one! Keep that one, though, even if you get a newer one. An old beaten up anvil can be useful for all sorts of rougher jobs.

As far as a pritchel hole, here's a link to my Vulcan, notice the groove about an inch behind the step. As a farrier, I punch many nail holes - 6 or 8 per shoe - and that groove is easier to locate than the pritchel hole. I cut it with an angle grinder in about 10 minutes.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/attachments/f83/14269d1242779152t-arm-hammer-anvil-weld-img_0256.jpg

looks good... looks like we have he same anvil.. how thick is the steel face on yours? yeah its a shame about the pritchel hole but im a beginner i dont think il miss it until i need to do some punching etc. but there is always a drill press :) and from what people are telling me on here it was a good deal! so im stoked.