I Forge Iron

Judging finished dimensions?

aprayinbear

I'm definitely a newbie here, and I've gotten the bug! Everytime I see I piece of steel my mind starts picturing what could be hammered from it.

Recently a good friend gave me the leaf springs from an old truck. They are about 3" wide and close to 3/8" thick. I'm assuming from what everyone says that they are probably 5160 steel and could be made into some handsome knives. My question is, before cutting the steel into more manageable lengths and widths, what formula can I use to determine the finished size after I am done forging a blade?:rolleyes:

All suggestions appreciated!:)

Until you have a few years forgeing under your belt I am not sure there is a workeable formula for this. Let me explain: As you progress and gain experience you will become more efficient at moving steel in the direction you want it to go. You will use fewer heats to do this and with more precise hammer control you will eliminate dents in the steel. Those dents at first will need to be either flattened with a hammer or ground out to make a nice blade. So here are thoughts for starters. Keep a log of your work. Use a cut off wheel in a side grinder and cut a section of the spring about 1" wide and 8" long. Forge a blade from it. Take a picture of the blade for your log or trace it into the log with measurements. Make several blades with the same starting dimensions. And you don't need to use my measurements, but if you stay consistant what I am saying will become real clear. A size small enough to heat easily and handle with tongs is a good starting point. The number of heats you take on a piece the more steel you lose through scale. So after 20 blades or so if you see that the same starting size ends up as a larger blades it is a lot of things that you have learned well that is causing that. And have fun.

Just a feel thing that will come with time, Im to dissorganised to keep records!

I would tackle those springs a bit differently to rich, and take a 1" slice of them.

With a billet 1" wide x 3" long x 3/8" you will get a pretty decent sized blade, and avoid a lot of the frustrations of keeping a bigger piece straight and true, nevermind grinding it!

Thanks for all your thoughts,

What you say makes perfect sense. I like the idea of keeping a journal of my efforts and experimenting as I go. I certainly have plenty of the spring steel work with over time as my hammering becomes more efficient. I will start with the 1x8 pieces and see where it takes me.

Happy Hammerin":D

Really good question! I am working on a knife right now that started out from about a 2"x9"or10"x 3/16" piece of saw steel. After rough forging, the resulting knife is around 13" long.
Also really good answers. I'm more like John N - in the matter of disorganization, not in skill (I love that feather damascus John). I am going to try to discipline myself to keep a log.

aprayinbear: Welcome aboard and thanks for an excellent and helpful thread for one who is not so experienced himself. PLEASE!!!! Show your work. No matter how bad you think it is. You'll find that you are harder on yourself than others are. And you will get some very valuable advice here.

You Guys Are The best!

Here's the first knife I ever completed. I have posted it elsewhere on this sight, but thought you might enjoy a peek. There's is also a pic of several others I hammered out, but I never completed them as they were just for practice. I also included a shot of another knife I made in the nordic style, but I purchased the blade.

1stbladen005.jpg

PICT0545.jpg

santee004.jpg

Hey guys.... I'm really worried.... this stuff is really addictive!;)LOL

Hey guys.... I'm really worried.... this stuff is really addictive!;)LOL

The first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem. . . I don't have a problem, therefore I don't need to recover. :p