I Forge Iron

Removing fiberglass handles

Grafvitnir

Hi

Someone gave me two cross pein hammers (3 and 4lbs) but they have fiberglass and jacketed fiberglass handles which are very uncomfortable to use. I would like to change them to wood but don't know the best way to do that. Has anyone done that?

Thank you very much

Rub

Drill and punch works - just look out for all that fine fibreglass dust - a mask is highly reccomended. Although ideally you want to avoid contact with the stuff, if you rub talcum power into the skin on your hands and arms, it will fill the pores and help prevent irritation.

It think switching to wood is a good move - I find the shock transfer of the fibreglass gives me wrist pain, I have had no trouble with wooden handles, touch wood! (sorry couldnt resist that)

Thank you very much for your answers. I've never sawed through fiberglass before so I wasn't sure that was the way to go. In this case I'm not reshaping them so I wanted to avoid heat for removal to avoid having to retreat them (heat treatment).

Thanks a lot again.

Rub

Edited by Grafvitnir