I Forge Iron

hello from Ct

well i have been playing at being a black smith for a couple of months, since february i think. i am a teenager and got into being a blacksmith as i wanted to buy a broad axe and carpenters axe for wood working. but they were expensive and i decided i would learn how to make one for me. it turns out lighting a fire and heating metal and hitting it with a hammer is more fun then wood working. (note: that is a simplified version of forging for entertainment puposes only:D). well glad to be here and have fun with your projects.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

I have to disagree with your description of your description of why smithing is more fun than wood working. It IS INDEED about playing with fire and hitting things with hammers!

You're in good company, a LOT of current blacksmiths were wood workers who just wanted to be able to make that special plane iron, gouge, set of hinges, etc. Then they discovered how much more fun smithing is and their wood working tools are dustier than they originally were. ;)

Frosty

and i do attempt to work safe. i just cut the tip of my thumb off with a tomahawk i tried to make (the weld failed) although i blame my dog for that one as she loves to be around my feet. although i get more time at my wood bench making handles for tools that i made etc. and i am thinking of making a shed so i can work in the rain. anyone think that 5 by 10 is a big enough workshop? there will be only a bench grinder and a hand cranked forge 190 fisher norris and a workbench plus a slack tub and tool racks. thanks for the posts.

Fisher, a shop is never big enough. ... ever... but anything that gets you out of the rain is a big plus!!

Where in CT are you? I live in eastern ct, also play a bit as a woodbutcher, so you are among friends here!!

i am in the greater norwalk area. i go up to the danbury railway mueseam sometimes at the forge. i think another guy there is a member here. ill ask. and i want a shop about that big as it will be easier to build my self. thanks for the posts.
edit: i found a tarp and can stretch it about 6 or 7 feet over my forge so i can work in the rain. although it may melt but the rain might keep it cool. now to russel up the $1000 i need to make a workshop and to find the space.

Edited by fisher_norris

Norris,

Having the tarp over the fire could be very dangerous. If it does melt, or a line breaks etc its is going to go up in flames very quickly, and you will have hot sticky burning plastic wraping itself over you - Too nasty to risk in my opinion.

I was going to say something witty about meeting a New Guy, and jumping on the Banned wagon... but its not my place.

Play safe.

(info added by edit)

Btw, I have worked under a tarp in the rain. But the tarp is there to keep me and the anvil out of the rain - the fire is safely enclosed in a masonary hearth with a chimney.

You still have to remember that the tarp is there, so as not to stick longer pieces of stock up into it - if they were hot it would catch fire. Im on the look out for a canvas tarp and i'm planning on usings Frosty's borax fireproofing technique.

Edited by Bob JS
info about my tarp